Attn. FMDXers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It is interesting [to me] that they show it horizontally mounted. My choice would be vertical polarization for 88-108 Mhz FM.

Mike

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Though most people have traditionally mounted their TV and FM yagis in a horizontal configuration, some of the studies I've read seem to bear out that orienting FM broadcast transmit antennas vertically gives better reception. This is somewhat based on the fact that most vehicle radio antennas are vertical whips and the majority of home stereos just have a wire hanging out of the back of the receiver.

However, when it comes to actual FM DX, where tropo or sporadic-E come into play, the polarization of the signal that left the transmit antenna may not necessarily be what is present at the receiving antenna. Therefore, the actual orientation of the antenna at your house may or may not be optimum for a specific received signal.

I have always mounted my antennas horizontally and have done just fine with sporadic-E DXing. Receiving stations from Texas, Florida, Cuba and elsewhere from central Virginia isn't too shabby on an Antenna Craft FM-6 at 20 ft.

It is interesting [to me] that they show it horizontally mounted. My choice would be vertical polarization for 88-108 Mhz FM.

Mike

prcguy

With most FM broadcasters transmiting circular polarity it generally doesn't matter if your horizontal or vertical. However, most RF noise is vertically polarized and you can benefit from higher SNR with a horizontal pol antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.