Laird Phantom Elite

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I searched this forum for info on the Phantom Elite and found some old threads. I thought I'd share my comments on it.

I picked one up the other day. Its very small and I love the stealth metallic-black color. The pictures I saw made it seem like a chunk of plastic. It installed in seconds on my Dodge Durango. (I use a BCT-15 scanner.)

(The base of the Elite is spring-hinged so you press down and screw on the NMO. Then you just turn the "wing" clockwise so that the trailing edge is pointing toward the front. It's a very solid design.)

I was using a Larson 866mhz NMO for my trunk scanning, but I had always been curious about the Phantom and Phantom Elite. I seem to always find "something" to hit my antennas with so I wanted to find a smaller solution. The Larson runs about 12" (with spring) and the Phantom Elite is barely 4" high.

In this area we have several valleys that dip behind hillsides - small shopping malls, etc. I was in an area where reception is very sketchy at best. Even on the Larsen the reception was scratchy - but I could still hear units, dispatch, etc. The Phantom Elite wouldn't even get the control channel(s).

That being said, as I soon as I was in the open, everything was good and strong. I didn't have a lot of time to see how it works in the surrounding areas, but so far I'm pleased. Sure it would be nice if it were 'perfect' but I needed a small replacement, so is a good compromise.

I think if you are using this antenna in a urban (flat) environment, I think you'll be fine. If your area is known to have a few radio 'black holes' then you'll likely suffer degraded performance.

The price point is not terrible either. If you are looking for a concealed antenna then this is it.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Nick, what is your Phantom tuned for?

I ordered a VHF Phantom Elite for scanning about a week ago from Tessco, however they didn't tell me until last night that they don't usually keep that item in stock and it would be here on July 21. For the time being, my installer is giving me a loaner 800 MHz Phantom Elite on the center of my roof and I must say I was pretty darned impressed right off the bat what it could pick up. It performed as well as, if not BETTER, the Larsen Tri-Band NMO I had mounted on my trunk lid.

I didn't expect the Phantom Elite to work so well at all. I get great reception on 800 (obviously, since it's an 800 antenna), darn good on 400, and I even picked up some CB traffic. I am not sure if the VHF antenna would outperform my loaner 800, so I am thinking about just picking up a 800 MHz Phantom Elite instead of waiting.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I use a Phantom Elite 800 MHz for EDACS and simplex. It is a compromise antenna. A straight whip does better....but of course that's not "low profile". But overall I'd say it works for what I use it for.

I remember seeing some posts over at, I think, BatLab about these antennas. The comments on the VHF version were not as good if I recall. The lower the frequency, the more of a "compromise" you have with a small antenna. Any kind of low profile antenna is tough at VHF.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I have heard the VHF antennas suck for transmitting because of the narrow bandwidth on those models, but for scanning I had read some positive comments about the VHF Phantom Elite.

SCPD

QRT

I ordered a VHF Phantom Elite for scanning about a week ago from Tessco, however they didn't tell me until last night that they don't usually keep that item in stock and it would be here on July 21. For the time being, my installer is giving me a loaner 800 MHz Phantom Elite on the center of my roof and I must say I was pretty darned impressed right off the bat what it could pick up. It performed as well as, if not BETTER, the Larsen Tri-Band NMO I had mounted on my trunk lid.

I didn't expect the Phantom Elite to work so well at all. I get great reception on 800 (obviously, since it's an 800 antenna), darn good on 400, and I even picked up some CB traffic. I am not sure if the VHF antenna would outperform my loaner 800, so I am thinking about just picking up a 800 MHz Phantom Elite instead of waiting.

I bought the 821-896 version.

ETRAB8213 - Antenex Phantom Elite Low Profile 821-896MHz 3dB-MEG Gain Antenna (Black/NMO Mount) with Patented Field Diversity

After several days of listening, I can report that it does a good job when I'm free and clear of obstructions, but I admit it's probably not going to stay on my vehicle for long. We just have too many "holes" around here and I lose too many conversations. If you are in a flat area or valley where the signal plentiful, you should be fine. It definitely fits the defintion of a compromise antenna but that's not good enough for me. :(

I thought it would be better, but my Larson NMO825B does a much better job.

I'm curious if a 3" 1/4 wave would be any better... I would like to find something that is low profile.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

In this area we have several valleys that dip behind hillsides - small shopping malls, etc. I was in an area where reception is very sketchy at best. Even on the Larsen the reception was scratchy - but I could still hear units, dispatch, etc. The Phantom Elite wouldn't even get the control channel(s).

Have you tried a simple quart wave whip?

SCPD

QRT
I said that in my last sentence I would like to try one... so no I have not. That's my next option.

N

N_Jay

Did you try swapping the Larson up there to do any A:B tests?

SCPD

QRT
Well yes I used the Larsen for the past several months. It's no contest. I never lost any signals during a conversation.

Don't get me wrong, the Larsen is a great antenna, I just was looking for something that could do the job but shorter profile. It looks like a 1/4 wave may be the last hope. <Crossing fingers>

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Did you try swapping the Larson up there to do any A:B tests?

Yes, of course. That's what my opinion is based on. Phantom Elite performance (800 MHz version) is on par or better than the Larsen tri-band. Your mileage may vary, but for the systems I scan in my area it works as well as or better than the Larsen tri-band.

code3cowboy

The leading edge of the "wing" goes toward the front of the vehicle. I have a phantom elite on U and a phantom elite on 8. They both really rock in the fairly hilly rural areas I frequent, and they work really well when I am in the city. I have not had any issues at all with them.

bh

Well yes I used the Larsen for the past several months. It's no contest. I never lost any signals during a conversation.

Don't get me wrong, the Larsen is a great antenna, I just was looking for something that could do the job but shorter profile. It looks like a 1/4 wave may be the last hope. <Crossing fingers>
Please keep us updated! I'm in the same situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.