Best Rooftop Antenna for a BCD396XT Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreThree

After being out of scanning as a hobby for many years, and now finally getting the itch to get back into it, I have decided to purchase a BCD396XT Scanner. I have had good luck with Uniden products in the past, and that was one of the deciding factors in which one to get (rather than the GRE PSR-500 or the RadioShack PRO-106).

That being said, I am now also in the position to have an antenna on the roof for the first time. My main office, and where I would be mainly listening and working with the scanner, is in the basement, surrounded by PCs and other RF noisy devices. I would like to put an antenna on the roof and run some cable down to the basement.

I was looking at getting the WBD-40 Discone Base Antenna from ScannerMaster.com and wanted to ask for your feedback and any tips that you all might have (like is this a good idea at all, or if there is a better solution, or better antenna). Also, I understand that there is going to be some differences in cabling and connections to the scanner, and was wondering if you might be able to help me understand the best way to do this.

Thank you so very much, and I look forward to hearing what your collective wisdom has to say.

SCPD

QRT
If you are looking for a all-in-one solution then a discone antenna is by far your best choice. Get it up and high and it'll do the rest.

If you mean to listen to trunking activity in the 800mhz band then I would suggest something like a DPD 700-1000 LP antenna. It's directional and can help with reception if at a distance.

DPD Productions - Scanner Antennas

Get some high-quality coax cable. Ideally RG-213 is a good compromise. The best is LMR400 but it can be a bit pricey. (50ft of 213 is about $50 and LMR400 will run you around $75.)

Run the coax into the basement from here.

I would buy something like this since you have a 396XT. It'll save wear and tear on the small antenna connector of the 396XT.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/parts/4513.html

Last edited:

ridgescan

Well FWIW I have become a staunch advocate for the Diamond D-130J discone and for very good reasons. I run two on the roof for two scanners and two HF recievers. They have made this listening station an effective one for me. They are made with high quality stainless steel parts and are withstanding harsh salt air with ease here. One costs $100 bucks or cheaper, but they last forever-the payoff. I love them:) just my .02

AreThree

Thank you both for your replies...

I am going to move forward with the discone on the roof. I am going to look seriously at the Diamond D-130J. However, I am facing a problem that I didn't foresee. I am wondering how high up on a mast I can really go with any antenna and still comply with city rules, as well as how to mount anything taller than a 15-foot mast.

I have found a local supplier of the LMR400 in bulk, but you are right, it is pricey. In addition, putting connectors on either end of it will either force me to purchase yet another crimper (as the one I have now only does "cable-TV type" coax), or will test the limits of my soldering abilities.

I like your idea of a "jumper cable" to go from the scanner to the antenna cable, thus providing strain relief for the small connector on top of the scanner. However, I don't think the one that you linked to will work, as the antenna uses an N-connector, and I thought that the radio uses BNC still, unless I am not understanding their specifications about an SMA to BNC adaptor in the box.

I am glad to have found these forums and look forward to being active on them for some time to come.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
So you'll need to buy a N to UHF (FEMALE) adapter. #UG-146 from Universal:

N Type RF Adapters ug83, ug146, ug57, ug29, ug349

(OR get one end of your coax with a N male plug and the other a PL-259.)

Then you'll plug in the coax. Coax into the house. Then the strain relief cable will then plug into the other end of the coax and into your scanner.

Uniden's portable scanners (396T, 396XT) all use the SMA connector type. So the strain relief would be ideal... no BNC adapter needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.