Extend cable length on mag mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh

I'm trying to extend the cable length on my mag mounted antenna. I use this antenna frequently when traveling, but often find the cable is too short. What are my options for extending the cable's length without loss? Like most mag mounts, it is currently terminated to a BNC-female connector.

WouffHong

BNC extension

I'm trying to extend the cable length on my mag mounted antenna. I use this antenna frequently when traveling, but often find the cable is too short. What are my options for extending the cable's length without loss? Like most mag mounts, it is currently terminated to a BNC-female connector.

Actually that's a Male BNC Connector. :wink: - Get what is called a BNC Bullet (A double female adaptor) and you can add a proper length standard BNC Male to BNC Male cable.

ANY additional cable WILL add loss, but it should be negligible for short lengths. There are some Belden cables (I have a few) that are Male to Female coax extenders, but rare to find.

Wouff

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you're going to transmit on this mag mount,then it's not recommended that you add extra coaxial cable to it,excessive swr and loss being the reason's.
N9ZAS.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
Negative impact for receive only applications can be very difficult to notice. Typically setups I have had that are on the short side benefit more for the connivence placing the radio in a usable position with a short addition of 3-4 foot coax.

No, I'm not transmitting with this antenna.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Why would there be excessive SWR?
prcguy
Unless it

Increased swr,though maybe only slight would be caused by the additional hardware in the feedline.
Adapters,inline barrels,etc. This is known to create more of a problem on uhf.
N9ZAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.