Anyone have luck with Tram Dual-band On glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd0ezq

Premium Subscriber
Im looking for an subtle antenna for my wife's car for a dual band radio. I have noticed that Tram offers a dual band on-glass antenna. Has anyone had any luck with one of these?

Thanks
Tim Batt
KD0EZQ
Victoria, Kansas

SCPD

QRT
Never had any luck with on-glass antennas - period.

Is it a mobile radio or handheld? If it's mobile, why not a magnet mount on the trunk (or lip mount) - or a permanent NMO mount. A black 1/4 wave NMO whip is pretty stealthy.

jim202

I find your statement about no luck with glass mount antennas to be some what foreign. I have
for many years used glass mounted antennas with great success. Matter of fact I have done
a number of tests to see if the glass mount or mag mount was better. The results have shown
that a properly installed glass mount antenna will perform just as well as a mag mount. However,
I will point out that the testing was don on UHF and 800 only. I don't believe that VHF glass
mounted antennas have enough coupling to function properly.

Along with my above comments, I will point out that the glass mount antennas can not be
used on glass that has internal tinting. Most of this tinting is from metallic particles and
effects the glass mount coupling. You also can't mount the coupling units over the wires
on or in the glass used for heating the window to remove frost.

Jim

Never had any luck with on-glass antennas - period.

Is it a mobile radio or handheld? If it's mobile, why not a magnet mount on the trunk (or lip mount) - or a permanent NMO mount. A black 1/4 wave NMO whip is pretty stealthy.

kd0ezq

Premium Subscriber
The car is a '01 Bonneville with a moon roof, Ive had the headliner down, and there isnt alot of roof space open for roof mounting. I have been investigating the Phantom Elite antennas in UHF and VHF with a diplexer but Ive seen a very narrow bandwidth on those antennas. My next option will be a trunk lip mount with a Dual Band antenna, in black of course. I was just searching through my suppliers, and came across that Tram antenna, I have had exceptional luck with the Tram products, but I havent had the best luck with Glass mounts either.

Thanks
Tim

SCPD

QRT
I will point out that the testing was don on UHF and 800 only. I don't believe that VHF glass mounted antennas have enough coupling to function properly.

Last time I checked, the amateur bands were not on 800mhz.

But why waste time and money trying something to see if it'll work when you can get parts/antennas that DO work.

SCPD

QRT
The car is a '01 Bonneville with a moon roof, Ive had the headliner down, and there isnt alot of roof space open for roof mounting. I have been investigating the Phantom Elite antennas in UHF and VHF with a diplexer but Ive seen a very narrow bandwidth on those antennas. My next option will be a trunk lip mount with a Dual Band antenna, in black of course. I was just searching through my suppliers, and came across that Tram antenna, I have had exceptional luck with the Tram products, but I havent had the best luck with Glass mounts either.

Thanks
Tim

Well, I haven't tried them personally, but I wouldn't go for Phantom Elite VHF/UHF models. They wouldn't be very economical either.

Ideally, I'd go with a permanent NMO mount on the rear of the roof or trunk. Otherwise, I'd go with a trunk mount. Don't know if you'll find one in black - most amatuer antennas tend to be stainless steel.

Look at the trunk mounts from Diamond: Diamond Mobile Antenna Mounts, Diamond K400, K540, K550, K600, K702
Here are mobile antennas: Amateur Mobile Antennas

lrh270

Tim --

If you want to go with the Tram dual-band on-glass, I have one NIB that I'm probably not going to use. I bought it for a new truck and then drilled a hole anyway.

Les

Fast1eddie

Why don't you install a 3/4 NMO L mount inside the trunk lip??? The mount and antenna components are available in black....installed correctly it is extremely durable. I installed mine on a 07 Milan and use a Larsen 2/70 dual band coil and whip. Works extremely well out of band; I am not active in ham radio, but desired the capability if I so choose. No problems with water leaks, ignore the crap brands out there and go with name brand. Stay away from glass mounts, most glass manufactured has a lead concentrate which attenuates RF.

Good luck,

Ed

kd0ezq

Premium Subscriber
My original idea was to do the L bracket, but the design of the trunk and fender wont allow for one...There is maybe a 3/4" lip then a gasket then the drop off into the trunk.

I am probably going with the trunk lip mount, I have found them in black both at my local motorola shop and through Talley. The with the Larsen dual band or the Tram Dual band.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.