Roof antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
i found a website that sold a pack of 4 antennas that were tuned for different bands.
they are used on top of cop cars. the silver ones that are towards the back portion of the roof.
unfortunately i didn't save the web site and wold really appreciate it if someone could give it to me.
thank you

n5ims

While I don't have the website you're asking for, these antennas you describe are most likely those used for direction finding and tracking for LOJACK. They are nearly always 4 antennas in a square. There is another system that uses three antennas in a triangle that are used for a similar system to track down the money bags from a bank robbery. Both systems use standard VHF-HI antennas.

SCPD

QRT
yah thats what i've been finding online about those 4 antenna's. and your rite. they are always in a square..
i just thought i could use them to hock up to my scanners cause i have those 4 holes in the roof of my crown vic already..
but i'll just have to find different antennas..
would 4 antennas tuned for different frequencies and hocked up to 1 scanner work or would it be better to run 1 antenna tuned for all bands?
I'm new to all this scanner stuff

SCPD

QRT
I think it would work.

yah thats what i've been finding online about those 4 antenna's. and your rite. they are always in a square..
i just thought i could use them to hock up to my scanners cause i have those 4 holes in the roof of my crown vic already..
but i'll just have to find different antennas..
would 4 antennas tuned for different frequencies and hocked up to 1 scanner work or would it be better to run 1 antenna tuned for all bands?
I'm new to all this scanner stuff

Seeing as you are not transmitting on the antennas, I think you will get some decent reception by using four antennas tuned to different bands, and using T-connectors into one antenna jack on the radio. It is definatly something I would try IF I already had the holes in the vehicle, although I myself would knock up some homebrew splitters. But that's just me putzing around, not something you need to do.

SCPD

QRT
thanks for the info.. yah i'll make it work some how..
i'm sure i can come up with lots of ways...

khoelldobler

Premium Subscriber
now residing in Ocala, Florida since 1999
I think that one all band antenna would work well for you, especially if you monitor different bands... If you usually only monitor 800 mhz systems, you naturally would be better off with an antenna tuned to that particular bandwidth. You can always purchase 4 of the same antenna and use them on your roof... Hook up one of them to your scanner, and install the other 3 as dummies... Then it might look original. Your roof holes are probably already spaced properly for that police look... And i bet the nmo motorola style connector is best suited for your application... Motorola antennas might look really good. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.