Should I go for an indoor antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich83

I live in the basement of an apartment and I was thinking about getting and indoor antenna that is just something simple either just a wire or telescopic to see if I can pick up much more. I have a Watson W-881 Super Gainer screwed on top of my scanner at the moment and it does a pretty good job, depending on the day and where about I hold it I can usually pick up the PD 35 miles away. Would it be worth getting another antenna or should I just stick to what I have?

Rich

ffemt601

As you know your best bet will be an outdoor antenna. The antenna choices are based on what frequencies you desire to listen to.

Rich83

Yeah outdoor would be best but I don't have that option unfortunately. I would like to try and cover most of the band I have seen some that go from 25.000 -1300.00 but if I had to narrow it down probably would cover Air, 400's and 800's

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you can't put one outside,how about upstairs on the ground floor?
That would surely make a difference for you.
N9ZAS.

Rich83

Sadly not, up stairs are two more floors of apartments, I can get to a window but cant put anything out side of one because screens are up over them.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
People may frown on this but you might think about a preamp
and see if that helps any.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wow,I sympathize with you! How about a drop ceiling? Mag mounts work out upside down on them,or a central air unit outside? If you have a window that has a removable screen,maybe use a glass mount antenna on a single pane window? This might take some creativity.
N9ZAS.

Rich83

Yeah tell me about it. That is why I'm amazed I can pick up what I can, think if I find a cheap pre-amp I might try it even though I know they aren't brilliant other than that I think its going to be a sucker mount near the window. Part of me thinks it might be funny just to get 30m of coax and ask the maintenance guy if I can borrow his ladder, he is that laid back he would probably let me but I dont know if it will go down too will with the management lol

Fast1eddie

Forget the preamp, you'll be gaining a tremendous amount of noise over signal. Antenna efficiency is key here as some of the noise can be reduced at the antenna due it's vetical design. Superior quality cabling and installed connectors is also important. Are you in the city??? Lots of neighbors??? Power substation nearby??? I have some ideas for you.

Ed

Rich83

Nope not in the city, pretty small town, neighbors only in my apartment and the other three apartments near by, no power substations that Iv seen what are your thoughts ?

matt3320

hi rich83 iam in the same boat as you are in the base of a three story aparment and no acess to roof out etc. so what i did was went to rs and bought there mobile mount and a pie pan that is made out of metal and put it in the window ceil the other thing i did was use the rs round plane antenna a pole and tripod and ran 25ft of rg 8 m to the antenna and both have given me alot more to listen to. And i have just bought the grove scanner beam but is only been in use for day 1/2 so i cant realy say is that it works best if you now which direction or town you want to listen to.

rhalld38

I'm also in a basement apartment and I don't think that the landlord would be to happy to have an antenna on top of his roof but what I have found that works great with me is this antenna that all it is is coax with one part being the wire that came out of the coating and the other part is white plastic. I forgot where I got it from or the name of the antenna, maybe someone here could help me out, but I think the name of the company is c crane, I hear there ads on Coast to Coast. But anyways it works GREAT in my basement apartment. Give that a try.

jpm

attic antennas

anybody have experience with a attic antenna. my association won't allow outside antennas. mostly monitor 800

mrkelso

anybody have experience with a attic antenna. my association won't allow outside antennas. mostly monitor 800

I have a ground plane in my attic that pulls in signals from very far away.

lexmedic157

I'm also in a basement apartment and I don't think that the landlord would be to happy to have an antenna on top of his roof but what I have found that works great with me is this antenna that all it is is coax with one part being the wire that came out of the coating and the other part is white plastic. I forgot where I got it from or the name of the antenna, maybe someone here could help me out, but I think the name of the company is c crane, I hear there ads on Coast to Coast. But anyways it works GREAT in my basement apartment. Give that a try.

Is this the antenna?

C. Crane Company - Coaxial Scanner Antenna (Motorola) - Toll Free (800) 522-8863

How does this antenna work compared to a ground plane antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.