What discone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightspell

Hi all. Thought I'd throw some more newb fodder in for everyone to trip over. I'm in the market for an antenna, which will probably be mounted outside between 15 - 25 feet high. I have no experience with antennas and am shopping under the assumption that my best bet would be a discone of some sort. I emailed support at ScannerMaster.com and all I got was a pasted response of links recommending all of their available antennas. The two I was considering are the following:

WBD-40 Discone Base Antenna

or

DD1300 Double Discone Base Antenna

I'm scanning primarily Public Safety frequencies. Does the double discone offer something worth an extra $50? I'm open to any other recommendations, of course... Any advice offered would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

Laxplurr06

What it really comes down to between these antennas is what band you are monitoring. If the public safety in your area is between the 135-175 mhz and 410-475 mhz range then the Double Discone might be good for those stations that don't come in very well. Otherwise The standard Discone would be a good choice because the frequency range is 25-1300 mhz and will be a big improvement over a standard duck antenna. Just remember to buy high quality coax for the least loss such as LMR-400. If i was to buy another i would get the Diamond D130J Discone.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I often recomend for people who want an antenna for basic VHF and UHF monitoring to look hard at some of the many dual band 2M/440 antennas available. I use a comet GP6 for VHF/UHF monitoring. It performs much better than the rat-shack discone even receiving on VHF low band quite well. I use a yagi on a rotor for 800/900 MHZ monitoring.

Thayne

I have 2 discones & they are great; especially if you get it as high as possible. I use one feeding into a multicoupler for only receiving, & one for transmitting & testing 2 ways.
The guy I work with brought over an anritzu and swept the antennas and they are remarkably flat over 50-1300Mhz. Even the dips are not bad and gave good swr's. It is a lot better for general use than having a bunch of different antennas. They are mounted on opposite sides on the peak of the roof on 10foot masts and fed with 1/2' hardline left over from a big job we did..

prcguy

Don't bother with the "Double Discone", I have one and am not impressed. I double ditto on the DJ-130, its reasonable quality for the price. If you want to go cheap the Workman brand Discones used to run under $30 and they have solid radials that won't fall apart like the RS Discone.
prcguy

Status
Not open for further replies.