Just looking for verfication(yet another seperation question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m33kr0b

I know this has been beaten to death and I appologize. I have done some research on this site and believe that I should be OK but I just want to 100% make sure. I am looking at adding an antenna or two to my car. I have a crown vic that came with 2 NMO mounts 1 on the center of the roof and one on the center of the trunk. I am looking at adding another antenna or two. Right now I want to add an antenna for my Scanner and I am thinking of adding a 900 mhz mobile. I was considering adding the two antennas to the far left and right sides of my trunk. I currently have my VHF(75 watts) antenna on the roof and UHF(25 watts) antenna on the trunk. I was thinking that I would install the 2 other antennas on my trunk more than a quarter wave from the center mounted UHF antenna. I am worried about blowing out the front end of my scanner or the 900mhz radio. If someone could help verify this I would greatly apreciate.

Thanks,
Josh kd8dlf

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
You will be fine if you go 13 in from the window edge and 13 from the trunk lid edge, Move the scanner to the roof the VHF to the right drivers side 900 in the middle and the UHF to the passenger., It spreads out the distance and nothing will overload. Ive done this with hundreds of squads with more powerful radios and never had an issue

m33kr0b

Don't you think the VHF would be better on the roof and uhf on the center of the trunk so that they benefit from the larger ground plane?

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
A crown vic trunk lid is apx 46" across. I have yet to see any decrease in performance with the size of the ground plane when 2 or 3 antennas are mounted on the trunk lid. I have seen when a scanner antenna is mounted near a higher power radio and overloading the front end. That is why I recommended that the scanner be placed as far away and above the transmitting antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.