Decent 144 / 440 / 800 mobile antenna(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBennettcc

I currently own a Uniden BCD396XT (handheld scanner) and an ICOM IC-706MKIIG (HF/2m/70cm base/mobile ham radio). I also own a 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada (aka Chevy Blazer / GMC Jimmy).

I enjoy listening to the local 800 MHz public safety trunked system, as well as the 2 meter (144 MHz) and 70 cm (440 MHz) ham bands.

I am almost never doing any type of distance driving; however, I do own a RadioShack TRC-502 mobile-mount CB radio. Depending on other suggestions and what feedback I receive, I might consider installing this in my vehicle as well, and would therefore also appreciate any comments regarding a CB whip install. I currently own some sort of mag-mount antenna for my CB, but it's in bad shape, so a new antenna might be in order there.

Since I am also interested in emergency operations (ARES, etc.), I would prefer (an) antenna(s) that could / would TRANSMIT, as well as receive, on the 144 / 440 MHz bands. At this time I have no need / desire to transmit on 800 MHz, so that antenna would need to be receive only.

I am looking for advice for (an) antenna(s) to accomplish this task.

Some of my preliminary choices are:

Hustler MOR BNC

MP Antenna Super-M Classic

MP Antenna Super-M Ultra

Nil-Jon Super-M

Valor PMM3B - Where to purchase this one?

Since my vehicle is an SUV with a flat roofline, a major concern of mine is possibly doing damage to my scanner when transmitting with my ham radio.

I have heard that NMO mounts are preferred. At this time, I have no objections to drilling into my roof. This may change, depending on comments and advice received. Also welcome would be alternate mounting locations. I have a trailer-hitch receiver (not sure what size, if it matters), and have also considered this as a possible mounting location.

I understand that any antenna that is not a monobander is a compromise; therefore, if three separate antennas are required to accomplish this, then so be it.

I appreciate all of your expertise, experience, comments, and constructive criticism.

Thank you for your time.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
An SUV? If it was MY SUV, I'd install separate 2M and 440 quarter wave whips, about 19 inches apart. Then I'd use a diplexer, if necessary, to feed the ham rig. Actually, ** I ** would have put in separate radios, but that's just me.

I'd then put a separate scanner antenna, about the same distance apart, for a total of 3 antennas, evenly spaced across about 38 inches of roof line - centered.

And then I'd sit back and play with my toys, and not worry about the transmitter hurting the scanner. BTW, asthetically, I find it pleasing to the eye to install the shorter antennas toward the front of the vehicle, so in this case, an 800 MHz 1/4 wave, a 440 1/4 wave, then the 2m 1/4 wave.

In fact, I've done exactly that, before, and was quite pleased with the results.

Throw in the HF whip on a ball mount, and THEN we could call it complete! It's an SUV - you can't drill too many holes!

TBennettcc

zz048,

Thanks so much for your advice.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying to keep all the antennas centered with respect to the width of the vehicle, and install them in a straight line from front to back?

Do you have any recommendations on specific antennas? Diplexers?

Thanks again.

rvictor

You might want to take a look at some of the other threads in this forum regarding damage to scanners caused by transmit antennas being too close to the scanner antenna. Sounds to me like you may be heading in that same direction.

Dick

zz0468

QRT
Banned
zz048,

Thanks so much for your advice.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying to keep all the antennas centered with respect to the width of the vehicle, and install them in a straight line from front to back?

Yes, that's how I prefer to do it. It's a matter of personal preference, I suppose, but I find different size antennas look better if they're aligned front to back, as opposed to side by side.

It's purely an aesthetic consideration, and not a technical one.

Do you have any recommendations on specific antennas? Diplexers?

Thanks again.

No, I really don't have any specific recommendations. If I have to buy antennas, I usually just end up buying Larson quarter wave whips. I will not install anything other than a quarter wave for a band-specific antenna. And that being the case, specific make and model becomes less important. In the case of scanner antennas, I've always just used a high band quarter wave for reception of everything from low band to 900 MHz. Yeah, less than optimal, but my scanning needs are different than most peoples, and I'm not necessarily trying to maximize range and listen to stuff 90 miles away.

BTW, I wouldn't touch any of the antennas you linked to with someone else's ten foot pole, let alone my own...

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm wouldn't touch them eh? I have a Niljon Super M and it works damn well for me. I use it with my BC396T and Yaesu FT-7800 (NOT Simultaneously). Pricey but one of the finest mobile scanner/ham antennas on the marke in my opinion and I have tried plenty.
Your mileage may vary.
Joe, N9JCQ

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You might want to take a look at some of the other threads in this forum regarding damage to scanners caused by transmit antennas being too close to the scanner antenna. Sounds to me like you may be heading in that same direction.

Dick

In 30+ years, I have never seen mobile receiver damage while using 15-20" antenna spacing and 100 watt power levels. Is this actually a real issue for people, or just a perceived one?

Status
Not open for further replies.