396XT - Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

DudleyG

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone compared the supplied (stock) antenna with the WSMA-801 antenna? I primarily listen to VHF Air, local police (conventional - 154.xxx), and local fire (EDACS STD - 857.xxx thru 859.xxx).

Also has anyone compared the Diamond SRH77CA (which I hear is great) to the WSMA-881 for picking up distant radio transmissions? I know both are appoximately 16" long but I am primarily interested in how well they work.

Thanks

brusso99

like all the craptastic things they give you with your 500 dollar purchase, the antenna is no different.. order a good antenna for the radio. the stock antenna is 12.95 on scanner master for a reason, its junk.. i am going to order the best antenna you can get for this. the antenna is everything.

bmcmurphy

like all the craptastic things they give you with your 500 dollar purchase, the antenna is no different.. order a good antenna for the radio. the stock antenna is 12.95 on scanner master for a reason, its junk.. i am going to order the best antenna you can get for this. the antenna is everything.

That's surprising to me. The stock rubber ducky that shipped with my 346XT was quite good. The Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna I got from Rad Shack beats it in some bands, but it doesn't blow it away.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
The DIAMOND is a noticeable improvement on VHF-Hi but about the same on everything else as compared to the stock antenna.

Mike

BigC801

The 881 Super gainer is the best i think for VHF Hi, I have all 3. The only problem i have with the 801 or 881 is that it just works ok on 800 for me. I do think the 881 is better then the Diamond.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
whatever you decide change the stock antenna for distant VHF.

I personally suggest a magnet mount antenna (in the house put it on something marnetic in the car well tlots of metal... although it wont work carrying it around

Has anyone compared the supplied (stock) antenna with the WSMA-801 antenna? I primarily listen to VHF Air, local police (conventional - 154.xxx), and local fire (EDACS STD - 857.xxx thru 859.xxx).

Also has anyone compared the Diamond SRH77CA (which I hear is great) to the WSMA-881 for picking up distant radio transmissions? I know both are appoximately 16" long but I am primarily interested in how well they work.

Thanks

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
I decided to go with the WSMA-801 for my 396XT. I received it yesterday and couldnt be more happier. I noticed a significant difference in my reciption quality. Very pleased!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.