Diamond RH77CA (ordering info)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahoos4Life

Im going to order this antenna later in the week, From Universal radio, They dont seem to have any other shipping options other than whats offerd at main.

Does anybody know how long they usually take to ship products?

smason

Depends on stock, I like Universal, but they don't tell you it's out of stock unless you ask.
If it's in stock they usually ship fairly quickly.
They still show the BCT15 on their website but will never have it in stock again. I emailed them and they said they no-longer have it.

kf4uuz

I've never had any problems with Universal. Shipping has never been an issue for me.

BTW, if you're going to use the Diamond to replace the stock 106 antenna, you'll be hearing stuff you haven't heard before.

Wahoos4Life

I've never had any problems with Universal. Shipping has never been an issue for me.

BTW, if you're going to use the Diamond to replace the stock 106 antenna, you'll be hearing stuff you haven't heard before.

Thats what I am doing, and Thats what I am hoping for. :)

kf4uuz

All of the major radio equipment suppliers will probably stock this antenna.
Ham Radio Outlet , (800-444-7927) is also very good. Thay have multiple stores; so if one location is out of stock, they will automatically ship it from a different location. (If that is the case, they will inform you beforehand.) They are very helpful.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've ordered several RH77CA antennas from Universal over the years. They typically ship in a day or two, via UPS.

squirrel

Premium Subscriber
How does this antenna compare to the Radio Shack 800Mhz? I got one awhile ago and i have noticed a improvement over the stock antenna on my 396T and wonder if this would have better reception.

Thanks

K2QI

How does this antenna compare to the Radio Shack 800Mhz? I got one awhile ago and i have noticed a improvement over the stock antenna on my 396T and wonder if this would have better reception.

Thanks

It works better for 2m reception. That's about it.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I ordered a bunch of BNC-type RH77CA's from Gigaparts and an SMA-type from HRO. I got them both within four days of ordering, but your mileage may vary depending on where you live.

tmfok7

I've pretty much used Ham Radio Outlet exclusively here on the West Coast (Portland, OR store) and they will ship the same day if you order before like 3P or 4P local time. So if you order in the morning, it will be on its way by that afternoon. Also, you can request a reference number (they use their sales receipt number) in the UPS Tracking site to track your order. If you give them your email address, they will email you with the official UPS Tracking number. HRO has a store in Woodbridge, VA (1-800-444-4799) if that helps you.

Good luck!

Last edited:

raisindot

Thanks

I have both, and use both interchangeable on my PSR-500 and Pro 162.

Here's a non-scientific review by band.

VHF LO: Never listen there. I would assume the Diamond is better, because the 800MHz doesn't pick up much on higher VHF.

VHF-Hi: The Diamond wins here hands down. Picks up VHF-hi much better than the stock antenna. the 800MHz catches a strong VHF signal every now and then. but it misses most.

UHF: The 800MhZ actually performs quite well in the 450-480MhZ range I listen to most often. The Diamond may pick up fainter signals a little bit better, but in terms of signal strength, I've found they're nearly equal.

800MhZ: The Diamond performs extremely well on 800MhZ, both conventional and trunking. I would say that the 800Mhz antenna is perhaps a little bit better in picking signals from further away, and the signal strength is a little better on received signsla (three bars versus 1-2 bars).

If you could only afford one antenna, I'd recommend the Diamond. But, of course, none of us scanner hobbyists ever gets one of anything! :)

Suzie

squirrel

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input... I went ahead and ordered one. I will let you know how I make out with it.

Wahoos4Life

I've pretty much used Ham Radio Outlet exclusively here on the West Coast (Portland, OR store) and they will ship the same day if you order before like 3P or 4P local time. So if you order in the morning, it will be on its way by that afternoon. Also, you can request a reference number (they use their sales receipt number) in the UPS Tracking site to track your order. If you give them your email address, they will email you with the official UPS Tracking number. HRO has a store in Woodbridge, VA (1-800-444-4799) if that helps you.

Good luck!

Cool deal,I may take a trip up to HRO in woodbridge to get my Discone and coax.

Last edited:

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
My RH77CA's are usually used inside of a building, so my results won't be as good as those who use theirs outdoors. But I can tell you it is a significant improvement over the stock antennas for the Uniden BCT15 and BCD996T. It's even more significantly better than the stock ducky I got with my Icom IC-91AD for transmitting and receiving.

Wahoos4Life

Grrrrrrrr. I was supposed to get it today, Delivery has ben resced for tommorow, Stupid Ups.This is like the first time that has ever happend to me

kf4uuz

Yeah, they do mess up occasionally. However, on the plus side, twenty four hours from now you will have a
permanent smile on your face. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.