Will this antenna have 9.2dBd gain over the range 150-174MHz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Hello,

I don't quite understand the theory behind how antennas work or why they need to be tuned. I'm looking for an antenna strictly for the public safety frequencies of 150-162 MHz. The antennas listed on this page gives a frequency range of 150-174 MHz. In the PDF specs sheet, it describes the antenna as having 9.2dBd gain over a frequency range of "150-174 MHz (Tunable)". Will I be able to get 9.2dBd gain over the entire range of 150-174 MHz?

Or will I have to tune the antenna to, for example, 160 MHz and expect a loss or gain greatly less than 9.2dBd at any other frequency in the antenna's range?

I'm looking for something with uniform gain over the entire range of 150-162 MHz.

The antenna is the YS1505

Antenna web page:
Silver Series Yagis Antennas on Laird Technologies

Antenna Specs in PDF:
http://www.lairdtech.com/WorkArea/linkit.aspx?LinkIdentifier=id&ItemID=2499

prcguy

Those antennas cover about 5MHz and the tuning and gain drop off after that, especially on the low frequency side. You would need a log periodic to cover the entire band but finding one with that much gain would be difficult. A 4-bay dipole array configured for offset (directional) pattern would give close to 9dB gain across the entire band.
prcguy

prcguy

The Create gain is about half what they claim and they are very pricey. I bought a KMA 4113 and a KMA Rover which has twice the boom length and a couple dB more gain than the Create's and less $$ to boot.
Check out KMA Antennas -- VHF/UHF Log Periodics.
Where are you located? I moved antennas around and the big 4113 log is no longer needed.
prcguy

I found a log periodic that I may purchase instead. It seems like it would be a better investment.

It's the Create 5130-2N Log-Periodic Antenna
Create Log-Periodic 5130-2N

Thanks

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I'm looking for something with uniform gain over the entire range of 150-162 MHz.

I'm curious why you feel you need that much gain on high band. A 9.2 DB gain omni is huge, and so is a log-periodic of similar gain. The gain figures of the Create 5130 appear to be GROSSLY exaggerated. The gain of the KMA 4113 that prcguy linked to would appear to be much more reasonable, but that antenna is huge, too (12 foot boom, 12 foot elements). And that's the price you pay for that much gain.

Which leads me back to the question... why?

I use a discone... zero gain, but pretty uniform performance across any particular band. And I hear (and talk out) just fine. And it's relatively small.

Status
Not open for further replies.