Scantenna grounding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bentley

I just ordered a scantenna ANT07 for mounting in my attic, I live in a townhouse and not allowed to have anything on the outside. I am planning on picking up a radioshack CATV in-line amplifier. My question is, does this antenna have to be grounded for any other reason than safety against lightening? Does grounding an antenna improve signal quality?

Thanks

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Grounding your new antenna in your attic may decrease the amount of static you would receive
from nearby vehicles,atmospheric noise etc. I doubt you would notice a lot of difference,unless you install the ground wire leave it disconnected for a week while listening,then reconnect it.
You would know then,how much difference it would make. If you do use a ground,maybe there's a section of conduit in your attic? That would be a good spot as long as it's NOT a gas line,lol!
N9ZAS.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There have been many threads about grounding here; however, being in an apartment or condo, grounding a mast is probably quite useless. The actual distance in the path between the mast and actual ground is likely to be way too long - this renders a good RF ground virtually useless.

I would, however, disconnect the antenna(s) when not in use. 73 Mike

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
There have been many threads about grounding here; however, being in an apartment or condo, grounding a mast is probably quite useless. The actual distance in the path between the mast and actual ground is likely to be way too long - this renders a good RF ground virtually useless.

I would, however, disconnect the antenna(s) when not in use. 73 Mike

If you read the Op's post,he's considering the attic,so what mast?
Also bennett,another choice for grounding would be the 3rd wire ground screw on a nearby 3 wire outlet.
If you listen to the vhf low bands,or aircraft then grounding your antenna WILL help keep noise to a minimum.
N9ZAS.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you read the Op's post,he's considering the attic,so what mast?
Also bennett,another choice for grounding would be the 3rd wire ground screw on a nearby 3 wire outlet.
If you listen to the vhf low bands,or aircraft then grounding your antenna WILL help keep noise to a minimum.
N9ZAS.

That couldn't be a worse choice for a RF ground. It might work - just barely - as a DC ground to reduce shock hazards. The path the connection to that third screw would take likely winds its way all over the building before it actually reaches any ground connections outside the building; add to that the possibility of coupling noise from any appliances connected to it, and you could end up with more noise, not less. 20+years in apartments and condos teach you a few things about what not to do, hi

Use the search functions to bring up past discussions on this topic. You'll get a wealth of information on this topic 73 Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.