BASE Antenna for VHF 39.68mhz CHP ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

conve36

I am looking to build a base antenna for chp. The RS 102" whip sounds like a perfect starting point, but will I need to make a ground plane if used for base use? And cutting the whip to a quarter wave on 39.68 is easy. I will NOT be transmitting with this antenna, just scanning CHP.

Please let me know you suggestions! Thanks!!

trooperdude

Database Admin
I am looking to build a base antenna for chp. The RS 102" whip sounds like a perfect starting point, but will I need to make a ground plane if used for base use? And cutting the whip to a quarter wave on 39.68 is easy. I will NOT be transmitting with this antenna, just scanning CHP.

Please let me know you suggestions! Thanks!!

Google "coaxial sleeve antenna"

or this:

http://scannerbuff.net/lowband/index.html

Last edited:

conve36

So I purchased the 102" whip and it seems to work great for CHP's 39.xxMhz frequencies. Now should I cut this antenna to 1/4 wave for that freq? I only use it for scanning, no transmitting... And groundplane?

conve36

Yeah but I already have the 102" whip. What I have done with it so far; Cut off the very end of the whip where the connector is and replaced it in the "Radio Shack Mag-Mount scanner antenna". Im not getting the results I wanted on CHP low band 39.68... Will a ground plane honestly make a noticable difference with receive only? Cut it for 1/4 wave on 39.68?

mancow

Database Admin
... Will a ground plane honestly make a noticable difference with receive only?....

Yes, it will. I built a 42 Mhz ground plane from some scrap parts and fed it with regular TV coaxial cable. The results are excellent. I have it hoisted up in a tree at 30 feet where it hangs from the center active element from a piece of nylon cord. I can pretty much hear every troop in Missouri when I used to get one or two with just a whip on a pole.

code3cowboy

Yes, it will. I built a 42 Mhz ground plane from some scrap parts and fed it with regular TV coaxial cable. The results are excellent. I have it hoisted up in a tree at 30 feet where it hangs from the center active element from a piece of nylon cord. I can pretty much hear every troop in Missouri when I used to get one or two with just a whip on a pole.

Cable TV is 75 ohms, radio is 50 ohm in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.