VHF-UHF discone antennas w/ N connector, Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking for a discone antenna with a N connector with a range of 100 (or more) to 3 GHz. While there are plenty of antennas using that outdated SO-239 connector (I won't call it a 'UHF' connector), this has to have a N connector.

The two that come closest are the popular Diamond D130NJ;
https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=226&idproduct=1008

and this newer, but more expensive model that has the tighter coverage;
ApexRadio 703G-DA 70MHz-3GHz Discone Antenna
Apex Radio 703G-DA Discone Antenna

I'm not interested in coverage below 140 MHz and would like coverage up to 2.5 GHz.

Input?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
See what Kreco has to offer. I would question the Apex antennas performance on the high end. High quality discones that operate at several GHz generally have solid disks and cones. At the lower frequencies, a minimum of 12 radials on the disk and 12 on the cone are what you'll find.

Kreco has a 300 -2400 MHz model. You can special order a type N connector.

N

N_Jay

1) a real discone does not have a whip on top.
That is done to help at the low end by allowing the antenna to work as a ground plane.
2) a well built discone will have a frequency span of 3 to 4 times the lowest design frequency.
So if the bottom is 150 MHz then it will start dropping off between 450 and 600 MHz.
The rolloff at the top can be relatively soft (if well designed) so you may get another one or 2 times the lowest frequency.
(i.e. 100 to 600 MHz, or 150 to 900MHz)
3) the STI-Co antenna is built like a tank, and priced like it is built for a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.