Patrol Car Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcrock01

What are the four antennas mounted in a foot square on top of some patrol cars used for?

1radicalman

2 part question related to LoJack Mobile Antennas - Police Vehicles

1) Does anyone know the brand and model of the 4 roof mounted antennas on police vehicle equipped LoJack Locators?

2) If I install 4 of those antennas in the same fashion as patrol vehicles, in your opinion, would I be able to tie the 4 cables into one terminated with a BNC connector to use it with my BCD536HP Uniden Scanner?

nd5y

1) Does anyone know the brand and model of the 4 roof mounted antennas on police vehicle equipped LoJack Locators?
I have seen different kinds.

2) If I install 4 of those antennas in the same fashion as patrol vehicles, in your opinion, would I be able to tie the 4 cables into one terminated with a BNC connector to use it with my BCD536HP Uniden Scanner?
You could but it most likely would not work well. That isn't how the antennas are connected on a Lojack or other doppler direction finder.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Varies, depends on who did the install.

LoJack uses 173.075MHz., so a 1/4 wave whip cut for something near that frequency would be used. Since they do not transmit, exact length isn't critical.

It wouldn't be directional, and unless all 4 antennas were phased together properly, it'd probably have a funky effect on the reception.

If you just want to listen for LoJack signals, you don't need all 4 antennas, just one will work fine.

If you are going for the "look", then install 4 antennas, but only hook one up to your scanner.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
NO!! They're not always Lo-Jack antennae. Some police cars use a locating system for bank robberies. Instead of dye packs, some banks use dummy packs of money that have transmitters. This allows officers to follow the suspects even while several blocks apart. It works.

1radicalman

Varies, depends on who did the install.

LoJack uses 173.075MHz., so a 1/4 wave whip cut for something near that frequency would be used. Since they do not transmit, exact length isn't critical.

It wouldn't be directional, and unless all 4 antennas were phased together properly, it'd probably have a funky effect on the reception.

If you just want to listen for LoJack signals, you don't need all 4 antennas, just one will work fine.

If you are going for the "look", then install 4 antennas, but only hook one up to your scanner.
You hit right on I was going for the looks and hoping also that I could maximize on the reception part, but I will likely follow your advice and install 4 but connect one. I don't know of any 4 into 1 splitter for this application anyways. Thanks for the response.

n5ims

Generally the 4 square antennas are for Lojack. The bank money tracking system generally use 3 antennas in a triangle configuration. They're two different systems on different frequencies and some departments have both installed in the same vehicles (gives a real porcupine look). There are also fixed location devices that work on those systems as well. The antenna is a single mount with the three or four antennas on that mount with the hardware located in the antenna's base and feeds a box that transmits the direction and strength back to the local PD. Often there are at least three of these fixed locations in an area to help triangulate the location for the mobile units to do the fine tracking.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Why would they need 4?
Called pseudo-doppler. The array spins (electronically by switching antennas) and the receiver then measures the doppler shift for each antenna. Once that is known, a bearing relative to the cruiser can be ascertained with a bit of computing.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.