Fantastic attic antenna (was) on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

prcguy

I'm surprised these Discones didn't sell out, I bought one last year, see Ebay item # 220478967398.
I posted some info on these antennas here: http://forums.radioreference.com/antennas-coax-forum/130623-surplus-sri-discone-info.html

Basically they were designed for the US Gov for indoor use above a false ceiling to monitor what might be emanating from within the building. They are a very efficient Discone design and work surprisingly on receive down through HF. The original cost was ridiculous and at $45 there a steal. Hope the seller realists them.
prcguy

KJ6CFU

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I looked at this and was tempted to bid on it (no one else has at this point). Have you used this for receiving only? How does it perform?

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I bought one of these 2 days ago. I plan to put it in my attic with a Scantenna, a Scannerbeam and a Diamond Dipole. I will let you know how to compares with the others when I get it.
Should be interesting.

KJ6CFU

Premium Subscriber
That's cool. I'm kicking myself a little bit for not buying the one I saw on eBay before the auction expired. I hope it works well for you.

prcguy

I have only used mine briefly and had nothing to compare with at the time but was impressed with all the distant stuff I received indoors including HF.

These Discones are made of solid copper with the cone coming to a precise sharp point at optimum spacing from the disc. The basic Discone design has been modified for even wider response by SRI for surveillance use when hidden above ceilings.

I wish I had an attic use for them and only got these because I collect rare and odd antennas. I hear there is a 12 step program for this but I'm still in denial.
prcguy

KJ6CFU

Premium Subscriber
LOL.

I do have an attic in which I could use one of these. Kicking myself for not bidding on that discone. I literally watched the time run out on the bid when I changed my mind. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.