Connectivity/Loss Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjudson

I currently have my RS discone and Wilson Yagi antennas connected with 50 feet each of RG6/U coax. I am replacing the cable with Belden 7810 coax.

7810 is substantially thicker, heavier, and stiffer than the RG6/U. I'm concerned that having it hang directly off of my BCD396XT will put undue strain on the antenna connector over time. I was thinking about running the 7810 to a wall connector, then connecting something lighter like RG6/U from there to the scanner antenna input. The question I have is this:

Using this scenario, would connecting about six feet of RG6/U to the tail end of the 50 feet of 7810 coax (running it from a wall mounted connector, then converting it with an adapter to the SMA connector) cause more loss than just leaving the RG6/U up in the first place?

I don't want to go through all of this work just to have the benefits negated by all of the connectivity conversions.

N

N_Jay

My guess is for use under 1 GHz, you will never notice the difference between the RG-6 (assuming it is in good condition) and the new cable with, or without the jumper.

prcguy

Your starting out with reasonable antennas and very nice 50ohm coax for the main run, why compromise with an RG-6 75ohm jumper? A few feet of RG-58 or maybe some LMR-200 as a jumper would seem more appropriate.
prcguy

I currently have my RS discone and Wilson Yagi antennas connected with 50 feet each of RG6/U coax. I am replacing the cable with Belden 7810 coax.

7810 is substantially thicker, heavier, and stiffer than the RG6/U. I'm concerned that having it hang directly off of my BCD396XT will put undue strain on the antenna connector over time. I was thinking about running the 7810 to a wall connector, then connecting something lighter like RG6/U from there to the scanner antenna input. The question I have is this:

Using this scenario, would connecting about six feet of RG6/U to the tail end of the 50 feet of 7810 coax (running it from a wall mounted connector, then converting it with an adapter to the SMA connector) cause more loss than just leaving the RG6/U up in the first place?

I don't want to go through all of this work just to have the benefits negated by all of the connectivity conversions.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Prc guy has a good point. But I wouldn't think the smaller diameter feed to your radio would increase loss unless you drastically changed your impedance. Another idea would be a 90degree bnc adaptor? Those can help with the strain problem too.
N9ZAS

prcguy

Not enough loss in a few feet of RG-58 to worry about up to a GHz or so. It just seems odd that you would build a nice system with 50ohm components and then toss in a very inexpensive part that doesn't match.
prcguy

Prc guy has a good point. But I wouldn't think the smaller diameter feed to your radio would increase loss unless you drastically changed your impedance. Another idea would be a 90degree bnc adaptor? Those can help with the strain problem too.
N9ZAS

jjudson

Not enough loss in a few feet of RG-58 to worry about up to a GHz or so. It just seems odd that you would build a nice system with 50ohm components and then toss in a very inexpensive part that doesn't match.
prcguy

Actually, I didn't think ahead a bit when I wrote RG-6/U. It just popped into my head as that's what I have laying around (a good amount of it if I'm replacing my current antenna coax with the 7810). You are correct, I will be impedance matching the setup by going with another 50 ohm connector cable.

I guess that said, though, what can I expect going from my current 75 ohm setup to a 50 ohm one? How does this impact my performance?

nanZor

One option you can get right from RS is either:

1) #278-0011 sma-female to bnc-female jumper. It is about 20 inches of small flexible RG-316 (50 ohms) (alternate #278-011)

or

2) #278-0012 (alternate 278-012) sma-female to SO-239 female made with the same RG-316.

AND, you'll need the male-male sma adapter: (I wish their jumper was male instead of female...)

#278-009

Works fine on the 396's, and the Pro-137 race scanner if you need a low-stress jumper connection..

jjudson

AND, you'll need the male-male sma adapter: (I wish their jumper was male instead of female...)

Yeah, that's weird. Why would they make a device advertised as an female SMA-to-something adapter, then advertise it as a "Connect your scanner or handheld 2-way radio to an external antenna with this cable" adapter? Do any scanners or radios take a female antenna connection?

Sometimes I scratch my head over Radio Shack.

Status
Not open for further replies.