TV Antenna For Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
You know, most people will say that a TV antenna will not make a very good scanner antenna. Well I got a story for you! :lol:

Today, I decided to put up a VHF antenna for my scanner. So I went about putting it up, running all the coax and whatnot. When all was said and done, I plugged it in, only to find out that it had worse reception than before when I used the TV antenna. The VHF antenna was in good working condition and in great shape. I mounted it on the side of my TV antenna so it was nice and high up. So I dont know why the TV antenna got better, clearer, farther recpetion than a VHF antenna. (which is made for that) It sure did surprise me, so I thought I'd share my experience.

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
TV antenna

What brand & model VHF antenna were you using & what range of frequencies are you monitoring?
FLRAILMAN

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
What brand & model VHF antenna were you using & what range of frequencies are you monitoring?
FLRAILMAN

I'm not to sure on the brand. A local fisherman removed it from his fishing boat. Frequencies, I'm monitoring everything from 150's to 800's.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Your VHF ant is an Marine Band ant, its best for the following- 156.0000 thru 163.0000 MHhz as thats what it is tuned for. Its reception on anything below 130 MHz, or above 174 MHz will be drastically reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.