Distance between Antennas on car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to mount 2 antennas on my car which i can easily do if they are only 30cm (10 inch) apart, one is a Scanner antenna and the other will be hooked up to a 5 watt UHF CB, will this cause any issues or do i need to rethink my placement?

Thanks.

kf4uuz

I don't advise it. You will have scanner issues while transmitting on the CB. Ten inches is just way too close.
If you value your scanner, you need to separate the antennas by at least three feet.

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
Are there any good stick on glass antennas for uhf cb?

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
my bad, i thought i had, does that make any difference in the placement though. I am in Australia.

SCPD

QRT
my bad, i thought i had, does that make any difference in the placement though. I am in Australia.

[CHEEKY-REPONSE]

Well, being from the land down under, for best results, you'll need to mount the antennas upside down.

[/CHEEKY-RESPONSE]

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
As a rule of thumb. I use a minimum of 18 inches separation for roof or trunk mount antennas. 5 watts will not overload a scannner at that distance.

TheJerk

I don't advise it. You will have scanner issues while transmitting on the CB. Ten inches is just way too close.
If you value your scanner, you need to separate the antennas by at least three feet.

Ummm, he will have trouble mounting/transmitting with a CB anywhere on the car! I have ran scanners and CBs together for a long time, you just got to remember to turn the scanner off when you transmit on the CB. There is no other way around it (short of locking out all the 30-50Mhz channels).

CBs are typically "dirty", and tend to splatter quite a bit.

This is the US typical 28MHz breed...not that 460Mhs GMRS...

NSWESP

Premium Subscriber
No lisence needed for 477Mhz UHF CB here. I scan alot in the 416 and 460 range on my scanner and never listen to 477 on the scanner so would that be ok?

DionW

Premium Subscriber
Ummm, he will have trouble mounting/transmitting with a CB anywhere on the car! I have ran scanners and CBs together for a long time, you just got to remember to turn the scanner off when you transmit on the CB. There is no other way around it (short of locking out all the 30-50Mhz channels).

This is the US typical 28MHz breed...not that 460Mhs GMRS...

I have a RS PRO-96 handheld scanner in my van. Last week I bought a handheld CB for the van as well. I was going to put them in the cup holders right beside each other. Are you guys saying that this could possibly damage my scanner having them both on at the same time?

TheJerk

Just don't transmit on the cb while the scanner is on...

I'm not going to say it will/won't hurt the scanner, every situation is different...I ran a BC350A on the dash of my truck with (at that time) more than the legal limit of 27Mhz citizens band on the road...other than the annoyance of the scanner stopping everytime I tried to transmit (you can hear youself), it never seemed to hurt the scanner...its still working at my parents' 10 years later. That was a well traveled scanner, with almost 300,000 miles under it.

jparks29

John McClane
As a rule of thumb. I use a minimum of 18 inches separation for roof or trunk mount antennas. 5 watts will not overload a scannner at that distance.

General rule of thumb is 1/4 wavelength distance of it's own 'space'... primarily for groundplane.

rcvmo

alas........where a good low-pass filter comes in handy!!
rcvmo

chrose3

Premium Subscriber
Shouldn't be a problem..just make sure that your scanner is not programmed to receive CB transmissions!

Status
Not open for further replies.