Experience with Comtelco Mobile Antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atlong

Database Admin
Hi all,

I'm looking at the Comtelco mobile antenna described here (http://www.comtelcoantennas.com/PDF Datasheets/A11331.pdf) for my mobile installation. I monitor 150-174, 450-475, 700 & 850-869MHz mostly, but occaisionally like to scan VHF-Lo, AIR (Civ & Mil) and rarely up into the 900MHz biz band. I'd pair it w/ an NMO Mag-mount base w/ 12' of Micro Loss 900 cable that is also available on their site. It would connect to a RS Pro-197 scanner mounted in my dash.

I'm looking for anyone's input on the quality and performance of this antenna. Also, can I do better someplace else with another mag mount antenna? Cost is not a problem, but I'd like to stick with one antenna, possibly two at most.

I presently use a mag mount cell phone antenna, which does pretty well, but I'd like to do better. I travel mostly though fairly flat terrain, but do cross a small mountain when travelling between work and home in the far eastern panhandle of West Virginia.

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
If this is the same one that scannermaster sells
Comtelco All-Band Low-Profile Scanner Antenna

it is made extremely well and is sturdy

i have had 2 and they work well on VHF High and above - VHF-Lo not so good

I also Use a Spectra
Austin Spectra Mobile Antenna
the main problem with this one is the little center conductor is very very flimsy for a $100 antenna.

I would say it will work fine for your needs

Last edited:

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Comtelco = good stuff

I liked my first comtelco, so I got a second for the wife's car. I have the closed coil vhf/uhf broadband model (vhf 1/4 wave). Very rugged, and has held up well for the past five years. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.