Mobile mount with BNC connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mwad

Is there a magnet mount or a permanent mount mobile antenna that has a BNC adapter on the antenna end?

I would like to be able to just add the Radio Shack antenna to it as I get great results with that antenna.

Thanks

fineshot1

Anyone know of a permanent mount with a BNC mount?
Thanks

Im not saying they don't exist but as rvictor mentioned they are not weather sealed
and because of that they are not very common. The bnc connector would eventually
corrode and get screwed up.

Because of this you would do best to choose another mounting option.

In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
I like this idea, however would you receive any better by placing your stock rubber antenna outside your vehicle? I mean if you don't have good reception inside with it why would you have better or great reception with it outside. What I am getting at is, I have stopped and got outside my vehicle with the thought of "hey I might just be able to hear this transmission that I am missing bits and pieces of" only to find out that while I am standing outside I am not getting any better reception.

rvictor

I like this idea, however would you receive any better by placing your stock rubber antenna outside your vehicle? I mean if you don't have good reception inside with it why would you have better or great reception with it outside. What I am getting at is, I have stopped and got outside my vehicle with the thought of "hey I might just be able to hear this transmission that I am missing bits and pieces of" only to find out that while I am standing outside I am not getting any better reception.

Outside is almost always far better because you have gotten the antenna outside of the metal cage which is your vehicle. The difference is significant.

If you weren't getting anything better outside, perhaps you had some other problem or the signals were just too weak regardless.

Dick

Mwad

After a great deal of experimenting, I have come up with the following solution.

I use this window clip BNC mount along with the Radio Shack 800mhz rubber duckie antenna and it works remarkably well.

ANTWMBNC, WINDOW MOUNT BNC BRACKET WITH ANTENNA - Scanner World - The Largest Dealer of Scanning Radios in the World

As far as just using the rubber duckie on the scanner inside the car - there is no comparison. You have to get the antenna out of the confines on the inside of the car. You'll be amazed at the improved reception.

This combination works great but I still would like to be able to find a permanent mount BNC mount so I don't have wires hanging inside the vehicle. Even if the BNC mount gets weathered, I'd be willing to replace it as needed.

Hope this helps!

rvictor

Why not just buy an antenna that's made to be out in the weather and not have to replace the BNC from time to time? Keep in mind that as the BNC mount deteriorates from the weather, your reception will similarly deteriorate. So while you're waiting for it to get bad enough to justify replacement, you're putting up with a less than optimal antenna. Also replacing a permanent mount antenna can be a pain. Most people don't want to do it more often than necessary.

Dick

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I don't think you're going to find a "permanent" BNC mount. Like rvictor said, just buy a good mobile antenna and be done with it. I use the Larsen 150/450/800, and it works great on VHF and UHF, as well as the 800 band. It's weatherproof and will last for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.