RadioShack Magnet Mount - Frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
They claim it to be a wide-band antenna covering 25MHz - 1300MHz. While it's true, it's capable of receiving frequencies in that range, so is a wire coat hanger. How well it does it is another story. But overall it's not a bad general coverage scanner antenna for the money.

They don't stay on the car too well at speeds over 60 MPH.

TheJerk

I have one, but bought it so long ago that I don't have the owner's manual. I was wondering if they performed better on certain bands better than others?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Someone had experimented awhile back and posted his measurements on RR for this antenna,but I don't recall what bands he cut the whips for or which one(s)
N9ZAS

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I've owned one for many years and never have a problem from 33 on up through the 800. Good reception. I bought it with a MOT plug and later changed out to a BNC when I bought my old Pro 2046. Always worked good for me

conve36

This antenna is GREAT for monitoring ALL scanner freqs... to a limit of course. When I had this antenna, I used it to monitor my Counties Sheriff's Department. They were on an 800Mhz EDACS trunking system with multiple sites. So basically I could hear them with ANY antenna I attached to my scanner.

What I really wanted was to be able to monitor California Highway Patrol while traveling the local freeways. They use an older VHF-low (39.68Mhz) radio system. It is difficult to hear with rubber duck antennas, making them useless.

I found that Radio Shacks Mag-Mount Scanner antenna worked GREAT for monitoring the VHF-low freqs, as well as anything thing in the UHF band. (And of course 800Mhz).

Also, I found that this antenna actually works well as a dual-band transmit antenna for VHF/UHF on low power (5w).

And if anyone tells you they fall off their car, they need to wash the damn thing before putting it on. This thing didnt move an inch while hitting speeds over 90MPH from San Diego to Los Angeles on the trunk of my convertible BMW.

One more thing, it's always fun to experiment with this antenna by removing elements or adding elements or even cutting a rod for a specific length/frequency.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

scannersnstuff

i'm not bad mouthing the r.s. antenna. however,for like $15.00 one of those little valor magnetic mount antennas with the mini coax, will do just as well. don't expect much from vhf-lo band though. the other advantage is that it come's right off/goes right on the car in a snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.