Anyone ever used one of these

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
The fishy part is

"You will get a link to a frequency database"

Is the guy giving out shared auth credentials to a subscription service?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Uh oh, the ad is obviously targeting the noobies and preying on their ignorance. I'm not about to buy one just to prove my point and waste money doing it but I'll bet inside that PVC lies a cheap POS rubber duckie.

Can you say rip-off? Sure you can and thank you Fred Rogers.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber

jwatters

So what is a "Good" scanner Antenna - Indoors

I have had several rigs in the past as a former HAM (KB7NHD) who let his license go when moving to another state and other life events made time for the hobby unavailable - though not enough to let go of scanning - a new hobby in of itself... I would really enjoy being able to setup a rig outside - however, living in a downtown condo makes it not an option for me. So I have been doing a lot of google'ing researching the best options for indoor use and obtaining the best multi-band solution (25-1300MHz). I also would rather purchase one rather than build as I only have just a little bit more $ than time coupled with the fact that I realize I've become more of an end-user enthusiast than dedicated hobbyist.

I am planning on buying a desktop scanner to supplement my handhelds - and connect it to a dedicated PC. I'm looking at the GRE PSR600 even though I have two Radio Shack handhelds one being the sister to the PSR500.

I am looking for an Antenna(s) that I can utilize with the base station - and Indoors. In my area there are agencies on APCO P25 as well as analog Motorola and LTR trunked systems and conventional UHF/VHF and the services I am interested in are dispersed among these.

I'm actually quite pleased with performance I'm getting on 800MHz using the RadioShack $19 800MHz duckie and I am listening to talk groups on the Starcom 25 system all over the state. It is the UHF/VHF conventional that I would like to boost a bit within my listen radius. The antenna I am seeking to purchase will be for my new desktop scanner not my handhelds.

I've been looking at the Desktop Discone that ScannerMaster used to sell apparently. Radioware & Radio Bookstore - Scanmaster Desktop Discone Antenna show's it as being from ScannerMaster but ScannerMaster does not list it at all. And this guy looks like he is no longer in business - though I am sending him an email to find out. It looks like though if I want this unit I can only get it via the UK now.

One of the SKY SCAN desktop units. This SkyScan Desktop looks different that the one at Rocket Radio, though both are listed as the desktop discone. I like this one:
Desktop Discone Antenna : Scanner Accessories : Maplin

or one of these Desktop
Rocket Radio lists three different models and of the three listed I am most interested in the double desktop discone though I've read that the V1300 is really good, it's almost too big for indoor use and looks to be the same as the outdoor pole mounted version. IF I was going to do that - then why not just get an outdor model ...

All of the above units are about $65 US plus @ $70 to ship - a price I would spend if they work and just don't look flashy.

I see that ScannerWorld sells a unit ANT135BNC, INDOOR BASE OR MOBILE ALL BAND SCANNER ANTENNA, WITH BNC CONNECTOR - Scanner World - The Largest Dealer of Scanning Radios in the World
but it looks funky to me and there are no specs -

I've also been looking at a dipole set up such as WPN-97 Nomad Base Antenna

What I would like to know is does anyone have any practical experience with any of the desktop Antenna's listed or the Nomad long-wires from Watson. OR, any other recommendations for indoor multiband use, other than get an outdoor unit.

cheers

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Hi Jeff,

The neverending story of trying to find a great antenna for indoors! Personally, I am using a Larsen NMO-Black 2/70 ham antenna ( Larsen NMO 2/70 Product Reviews ) for all my VHF/UHF/800 monitoring. My station is in a second floor room and I have it magmounted to an old cookie sheet. I am very happy with the performance. On my truck I have the Larsen 150/450/800 antenna ( http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=427126&eventPage=1 ), and again am very happy with it's performance. It could also be utilized in the house as well. I have had excellent results with the Larsen antennas. Both of the above are available from various vendors, but I bought mine from HRO.

I am sure you will get plenty of other recommendations, but these have served me very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.