Scantenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkphotog

Premium Subscriber
I'm considering installing a Scantenna outside of my house... I recently got a bunch more scanners for my house and they are all using the stock Uniden telescoping antennas (which aren't great. I've never installed an outdoor antenna before and I'm wondering how complex the install is....

Also, in my work vehicle I have an active 8 port multicoupler for all of my radios. I'm considering getting something similar for the radios at home (a total of 5). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
I'm considering installing a Scantenna outside of my house... I recently got a bunch more scanners for my house and they are all using the stock Uniden telescoping antennas (which aren't great. I've never installed an outdoor antenna before and I'm wondering how complex the install is....

Also, in my work vehicle I have an active 8 port multicoupler for all of my radios. I'm considering getting something similar for the radios at home (a total of 5). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Good question, I'm sitting here now waiting to see the answers, thanks

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber

Thanks!

Hi York,

This depends on what and where you would like to mount it. Do you have a chimney?, or you can get a mast tripod for your roof. You would need proper mounting to you rafters with some lag bolts for the tripod.

Since your in Toronto I can build you a tilt over if you want hehe Just kidding:)
Do you have any pics of your house so we can take a look? See the above post for your multicoupler to hook up all your scanners.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Electroline EDA-UG 2402 multicoupler/w/Scantenna

I'm very satisfied with Scantenna and Electroline EDA-UG 2402 multicoupler. Its 4 port out so you will need 8 port 2802 for your application. Mine came from Ebay a few years ago. The seller also has 8 port for a few bucks more. Cost was under 20 bucks with shipping.

NYRHKY94

I'm with Fmon here. I have a Scantenna mounted outside at 35' and run 8 scanners through an Electroline EDA-UG 2802 splitter. I got the Electroline from an E-Bay auction for about $36 shipped. The Scantenna/Electroline combo work great for me.

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
Those Electroline splitters you speak of, are they "F" style connectors? if so, i assume its just a matter of getting an adapter to take it from "F" to BNC?

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
That is great, would you recommend capping the unused terminals off with the screw on caps that are avail?

wheelerg

Premium Subscriber
That is very good info, just what i have looking for, many thanks to those who contributed,,,,,although this thread was not started by me, it sure has been a help, thanks to "YORKPHOTOG" for starting this one.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
That is great, would you recommend capping the unused terminals off with the screw on caps that are avail?
If purchased on Ebay, the seller offers caps for about a buck and they can be included with the purchase so you don't pay two shipping fees.

RadioShack.com has BNC conversion adapters.

NYRHKY94

Here's a picture of my Scantenna mount and also the 8-port Electroline set-up in the shack (lower left part of the pic).

Last edited:
This is a great thread.... first post.... NEPA near NY/NJ/PA boarder. Just setting up my 3rd scanner in the workshop. A Pro 97 and a Pro 2006 with 2 ST2 antennas like pictured above. The physical protection and Lightning Protection is interesting.... Never thought of that.... Will be looking on eBay for a Amp like above.

Was interested in radios with Military Air bands... I have a old Pro 2004 with a audio problem from my Navy years in San Diego (Retired Navy Chief). Fun listening there.... I listen to the locals and lately added 2 radios and have been making a list of all frequencies in the area. Have logged over 125 Comm Air frequencies to keep me company in the work shop while I work. One searching and one scanning...

I will be looking around more later... back to work...

AL

Status
Not open for further replies.