Car AM FM Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJboutit

I am looking for a better car radio antenna I have a crappy one moved antenna to roof need something for better FM reception which antenna do you recommond for $25 or less

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Car AM FM antenna

You have your original vehicle antenna connected to a mag mount on your roof? And you are using this to improve your vehicle radios AM/FM reception? And it's not working? Do I have that right? Or are you using it for a scanner perhaps?

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Car AM FM antenna

You need to check your coax from the radio to the antenna, if anything doesn't look right, replace it with an OEM antenna from the dealer or an aftermarket antenna from one of the three sites listed above, try Pepboys first. Good luck.

FLRAILMAN

kb2vxa

Banned
Uh oh, those DC to light "boosters" have a bad habit of dragging in all sorts of hash, mash and trash and are no substitute for a good receiver and antenna. Now here's the so far unasked and thus unanswered question; is this poor reception a recent development or are you simply disappointed in your car radio? If the former I suspect a fault has developed in the antenna mount and/or coax, if the latter I suggest a high end after market whiz-bang stereo.

Some auto makers supply great radios that'll knock your socks off while others are just plain crap and that's not limited by the make, some models are better than others too. Just to give an example, a friend's Dodge Neon surprised me, not only was the FM section hot but the AM was too PLUS my ears told me it had an effective noise limiter and synchronous detector that eliminated selective fading just like a high end shortwave receiver. Meanwhile the one in my Toyota sucked raw eggs all the way around and almost never got switched on.

N0IU

Antenna for some reason a few of the low power stations are not comming in that great
Well you may have actually answered your own question! If they are truly low power stations, you just may be SOL in terms of receiving them with any reliability if you are very far from the transmitter.

rvictor

All else being equal, an antenna mounted on the roof should give you the best reception. Since your reception got worse, all else is apparently not equal. I'd check the coax and the connections since that would seem to be the only thing that changed other than location.

You've not given us a clear understanding of what you did, but if you used the antenna which had been installed in the vehicle and moved it to the roof, how did you wire it and how did you connect it to the mag mount?

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.