Scantenna ST2 Matching Transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Currently have one of these on the antenna
CO105T.jpg

It's been up here for about 6 years now and I am thinking it's time for a new one. Anyone know of a place to get a heavy duty version?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Pictured is an ordinary indoor TV balun undoubtedly waterlogged and corroded by now, the "heavy duty" one is the outdoor version so you can take it from there.

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Scanntenna ST2 matching transformer

Since you insist on a "real" heavy duty replacement matching transformer, this is what I found:

200-495 - Matching Transformer - Outdoor - Heavy Duty

However I've used the Radio Shack Model: 15-1140 Catalog#15-114 matching transformer for years without any complaint, the good thing is it's fully encapsulated in a very hard rubber casing. & includes a weather boot.

www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103912

I hope this was of some help to you.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

nanZor

However I've used the Radio Shack Model: 15-1140 Catalog#15-114 matching transformer for years without any complaint, the good thing is it's fully encapsulated in a very hard rubber casing. & includes a weather boot.

I'm fond of those as well for antennas like the OCFD and others. The main thing I like is that inside it seems to have isolated transformer windings, whereas with some others, they share a common transformer ground, which can sometimes lead to ground problems.

I'll have to dig one up again to make sure that they are indeed isolated windings, rather than sharing a ground.

I've even heard of guys using them back-to-back as a kludge to make a simple isolation transformer. Not ideal, but what the heck. :)

Grab a few and replace them every few years.

Last edited by a moderator:

kb2vxa

Banned
What you're talking about here is the difference between a voltage balun in which the input and output windings share DC continuity while those in a current balun do not. Just because there is DC continuity doesn't mean they have a common ground, there is no RF ground on the balanced side of it, that's what makes it balanced. BAL-UN, balanced, unbalanced RF wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.