dual band phantom antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrench1

Hello I Have a dual band radio that I am going to be putting into my new truck and I am looking for a phantom style round antenna for my truck. Any help finding one would be great.

Thanks

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Dual band? Last time I looked (this spring) there was no such thing as a dual-band Phantom. As I was told, the way the Phantoms and Phantom Elites are engineered, it would be impossible to achieve even halfway decent reception on both 140 and 440. They were made mostly for agencies that only need one specific frequency range and who also needed a low-profile antenna.

I ended up going with the ETRAB8063, it's the Phantom Elite for 800 MHz. (see http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/155173-newsphotog-rig-2-0-a.html) I have been very pleased with it. It's super duper on 800, decent on 440, and anything below that I don't have much experience since there's not much VHF around here anymore.

Wrench1

I was not sure if they did or not. here is the deal I am putting in a yaesu 7900 and I was looking for a phantom style antenna for it. is there any way that I could run two phantoms one for each band to the radio?

fineshot1

I was not sure if they did or not. here is the deal I am putting in a yaesu 7900 and I was looking for a phantom style antenna for it. is there any way that I could run two phantoms one for each band to the radio?

Yes - assuming your radio has one rf conn you could just use a standard amateur dual band diplexer
to split off the vhf & uhf runs to each band "low profile" antenna(that is what they are called).

mrweather

Yeah, the 7900 has a single RF output so you'd need a diplexer to split off V from U. Comet and Diamond (and maybe MFJ) make them.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Hello I Have a dual band radio that I am going to be putting into my new truck and I am looking for a phantom style round antenna for my truck. Any help finding one would be great.

Thanks

A VHF 1/4 wave antenna(apx. 18") will tune up pretty well on 440. On 440 its a 1/2 wave antenna. That is what I use on my car for my dual band antenna. 800 even comes in decent too!

I have also wanted to take a 1/4 wave phantom antenna to see if it would tune up on 440. I haven't broke down and bought one, so I don't know for sure it will work. Those phantom antennas are pretty narrowband compared to the VHF 1/4 VHF spike.

Tim K.

Wrench1

I am thinking that I may go with two low pro antennas and a duplexer on my 7900 the only thing I am still looking at is the 800 side of it not sure what I am going to do for that.

does any one know how wide of a range I can get out of the VHF and UHF low pro antennas

timkilbride

Database Admin
I am thinking that I may go with two low pro antennas and a duplexer on my 7900 the only thing I am still looking at is the 800 side of it not sure what I am going to do for that.

does any one know how wide of a range I can get out of the VHF and UHF low pro antennas

Duplexer or diplexer? I have never used both but I thought a diplexer was for using two antennas on one radio. Please correct if wrong.

IIRC, the specs I saw on the VHF, was pretty tight banded for TX. However, just for 2M it should be fine. I think bandwidth is 4MHz, don't quote me on that.

Tim K.

Status
Not open for further replies.