New User

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadSurfer

Hello everyone. I'm a new user. :)

I have a Grundig 750 I got for my birthday last year.
I currently have a 30awg single-strand 50' wire (silver/aluminum) running around my living room, kind of like a loop, and sometimes extend that with 22g 7-strand speaker wire (copper) using
a soldered on alligator clip. This long-wire hangs down about 1' down from the ceiling, in a
highrise apartment building.

We are not permitted to have any sort of outside antenna whatsoever.

What might I be able to do to obtain better gain using an all-indoor antenna strategy?

I usually listen to NY Air Traffic Control, and Gander ATC alot because they are good signals
for me. 1.8mc to 4mc is fairly good to me. 40m ham isn't that great; but do hear some
CW/LSB signals.
14m ham varies from day to day, but often see plenty of PSK31 on 14.070, and a handful
of USB phone. Could be better.

So, although I hear stuff to keep my interest, I am sure something could be done to help
improve reception.

I am also interested in learning pro's/con's of trying Antenna Tuner/Preselectors, both
passive and active (amplified). Do these actually help and worth the money?

I am using RG 8/U feedline with a BNC connector for my Grundig 750 Satellite Receiver.
The proper Preselector, so I'm told, can also help with sgnal rejection and other issues
connected with a receiver that a "broad" front-end. Comments/Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks.

//RadSurfer//

prcguy

Indoor HF antennas in a highrise is not so good, your antenna is going to be shielded from metal and wiring in the structure. It also places your antenna near RF noise sources like computers, Plasma TVs, etc.

In your case a small active antenna that you can maybe attach to a window sill and hopefully stick the short whip outside is probably your best bet.
prcguy

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another possibility is an active loop such as the ones Degen and Kaito make - these have a couple of advantages - being a loop, they tend to reject certain kinds of noise sources, and at least in some cases, you can put the actual antenna element away from the amplifier, so you can move it about to find the quietest spot.

A Carpet Loop is a dandy little wintertime project, and the advantage here is that you can make the loop element as big (or small) as you like. It takes a little ability with some simple power tools to make it, and it works quite well for an indoor antenna. Just click on the blue text for the link. The only really hard part is to find the variable cap - which you might be able to scrounge from an old non-working radio....

73 Mike

<edit> Here is one example of a Kaito model.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.