Jetstream JTB3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOGA

Here are a few pics of the Jetstream 2/440 base antenna whose model name is in the thread title. I scoured the WWW looking for an idea of what to expect from this product in terms of fit and finish to no avail when deciding on a second base antenna for a portable application. All that are available are three dimensional drawings and pictures of the antenna mounted from a high level viewpoint, which didn't serve my needs at all as a consumer looking to be better informed. I hope that by sharing these pictures, another new ham may not have to make a purchase decision in the blind as I have. Needless to say, so far, I am very pleased with the construction and materials used in the manufacture of the antenna. My expectations have been met for a change.

As time allows, I will update this thread with impressions after I've had a chance to make contacts while portable in simplex and by repeater from various locations. Now, without further adieu:

ddb5d412.jpg

7d8af291.jpg

f1b22d16.jpg

f16b812a.jpg

19478630.jpg

94fb56ab.jpg

927950c9.jpg

b7a415b4.jpg

bbf1b020.jpg

6ce0f74c.jpg

3614b8b6.jpg

Also, props to R&L for getting the kit to me in two days. I wasn't expecting to see a delivery until Monday next at the earliest. Will certainly look to the outfit again in confidence to fill my future needs.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

MOGA

Last night I worked some distant stations on two meter FM simplex that barely broke the RX squelch. I decided to run in side quickly and key up, asking for a signal report. Some intermediate-distance guys who were on frequency relayed that the far away stations reported that they could hear me better while operating from the rear deck than when transmitting from my base station. Mind you the base antenna is roughly twice as high with an unobstructed view due to nearby houses. The JTB3 was mounted to a surplus mast of about sixteen feet which in turn is lashed to the posts of the deck. The JTB3 wasn't mounted high enough to get over the roof of my garage, let alone nearby houses. The radios and coax of the indoor and outdoor stations are the same.

That's a pretty convincing observation of the efficiency of this antenna system IMO. Just thought I'd share.

K

kb0nly

Yep, good antenna. And R&L has always treated me right!

I have the JTB3 on my tower, side mounted at about 32ft, right now its just being used for VHF on the scanners and works very very well for that. Previously it was being used for my APRS digipeater but that got moved to another antenna with further improvements.

Definitely a darn good antenna for the price, and only like a third of the price of the comparable Diamond X50.

VE8AA

Dud out of the box?

My antenna arrived Dec 22... I thought great, I can get it up over the holidays. Well I had time today. I'm in a condo, so I had to put in the attic. I had it mounted then checked the SWR. I can't get the SWR below 1.5 to 1. On the band edges it is just above or just below 2.

I'm not saying this is a band antenna, I could have a dud out of the package. Even with the best and most reliable manufacturers this can happen. Any ideas? How does the SWR on your JTB3 come out?

K

kb0nly

My antenna arrived Dec 22... I thought great, I can get it up over the holidays. Well I had time today. I'm in a condo, so I had to put in the attic. I had it mounted then checked the SWR. I can't get the SWR below 1.5 to 1. On the band edges it is just above or just below 2.

I'm not saying this is a band antenna, I could have a dud out of the package. Even with the best and most reliable manufacturers this can happen. Any ideas? How does the SWR on your JTB3 come out?

Put it in the attic? Nearby metal objects? Metal near the antenna can detune it. Mine shows about 1.2:1 across the entire 2m band and about 1.1:1 across 70cm. It's actually very typical for a 1.5:1 or slightly less on these dualband antennas, nothing to worry about. I have swept a Diamond X50 which is similar in size and design to this JTB3 and the SWR results are about the same, they best i ever got on that antenna was about 1.4:1 across VHF and 1.2:1 across UHF. So it was actually worse than my JTB3.

Mounting location and such has a big effect as well. I don't think you have any problems. What are you using for feedline? Is it a good quality low loss coax?

Either way i wouldn't worry, your radio isn't going to care about transmitting with a 1.5:1 match, most radios on the market for ham gear don't even fold back power until its 2:1 or worse.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah, whatever you do don't skimp on the coax! Better check the charts and get the lowest loss available regardless of the price. You'll quickly discover loss on 2M is bad enough but it gets pretty horrible on 70cM so the best you can get is well worth the price. Hard line is best if you can afford it, to borrow a phrase from an old tape Crepitation USA (sp?) if you want to go with the pros you have to blow (signal) like the pros.

This message brought to you by Danny Boy cabbage and Campbell's beans, food of the <brrraaap> gods and my usual off brand humor.

ve3zo

I use 2 of these antennas, one for a repeater and the other for a link transceiver for the repeater. Both work great and have low swr on both the 2/440 bands.

Both antennas are fed with RG213 coax.

One is at the top of my tower at 55ft. The other is at the top of an apartment building at 200 ft.

No issues with it surviving the elements at either locaction

Last edited:

VE8AA

No, there is definitely something wrong with the antenna sent to me. On the low end, swr around 2.2, at the high end 1.9. No metal anywhere near the antenna in the attic, and I have no problems with the HF/6m ant in the attic. Using excellent cable - RG-214/U, however, bad cable will tend to show a lower SWR as the loss in the cable in both directions fwd and rev will cuase a lower swr reading. It seems others are all saying well under 1.5 to 1 across the band.

Thetoulman

Has anyone hit this antenna with an analyzer? How does it do up at 462-467 for gmrs?

VE8AA

Sweeps

I have a couple of sweeps,however, I'm not sure how to get them onto the thread, I don't see anywhere to upload files. Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.