Can someone Help Me ID a Rotator please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmshay6

I am trying to erect an antenna for HDTV and am having trouble identifying a used Rotator I have. A google search has brought me here where I found one similar to mine.

This one is a 5 wire unit and I can find absolutely NO markings on it. I have this 5 wire motor as well as a 4 wire controller. So two questions:
1) Can anyone tell me what kind of rotator this is?
2) Even though it is 5 wire, can I make it work with a 4 wire controller?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Rotor2.jpg
    Rotor2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 5,788
  • Rotor 1.jpg
    Rotor 1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2,079
  • Rotor 3.jpg
    Rotor 3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 2,095

wmshay6

I think I figured out that it's a gemini Orbit 360. Now the big question, can I use an Alliance 4 wire controller with this 5 wire rotator? I do not have the original Gemini control box.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
No, you positively cannot use a 4 wire controller with a 5 wire rotor and that question alone tells me you know nothing about the subject. Since you don't even know what you have you're clueless about the controller so sorry, you're SOL with a rusty paperweight. The pictures tell the story, it's old and moisture damaged internally (rusty terminal screws are a sure clue) so it's near the end if it works at all. Buy a new one with properly effective moisture seals and it will last a lifetime barring defective workmanship and/or abuse.

Here's a good starting point, I sincerely recommend CDE since mine proved nearly indestructible. The AR-40 should do you justice but if you want something with a little more oomph the CD-45II has it.
Norm's Rotor Service - Sales, Service and parts for Ham Radio antenna rotators; antenna rotor service; parts for antenna rotors
NEW rotors for sale

wmshay6

Geez- thanks for the warm welcome. (sarcasm intended)

And you're right, I am clueless, that's why I asked the questions. I thought that's what internet forums are for.

And of course I don't know what I have, that's why I titled the thread "Can you help me ID a rotor".

But you're response is rude. Are you that way with everyone or am I special for some reason? Must be tough going through life with a need to insult people you've never met. Way to be an ambassador for your hobby!

Thanks for the info though.

Last edited:

killmoles

Premium Subscriber
Hi wmshay6,

Welcome to the forum.

As you probably already know, your old rotor is beyond it's useful life. I'd suggest seeing how much wind load your planned HDTV antenna has and get a new rotor that will handle it. There are many variations/brands of the Channel Master 9521A type that should work for your use, and they're really inexpensive. Something stronger and more reliable would be the old CDE AR-40 that Warren mentioned. I'm still using the one my Grandpa purchased in 1976! :)

Glad you didn't let Warren's response get under your skin. He's just as rusty around the edges as your old rotor, but he sure does know a thing or two about antennas and radios! :D

Last edited:

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
No, you positively cannot use a 4 wire controller with a 5 wire rotor and that question alone tells me you know nothing about the subject. Since you don't even know what you have you're clueless about the controller so sorry, you're SOL with a rusty paperweight. The pictures tell the story, it's old and moisture damaged internally (rusty terminal screws are a sure clue) so it's near the end if it works at all. Buy a new one with properly effective moisture seals and it will last a lifetime barring defective workmanship and/or abuse.

Here's a good starting point, I sincerely recommend CDE since mine proved nearly indestructible. The AR-40 should do you justice but if you want something with a little more oomph the CD-45II has it.
Norm's Rotor Service - Sales, Service and parts for Ham Radio antenna rotators; antenna rotor service; parts for antenna rotors
NEW rotors for sale

Jesus Warren, nice way to welcome a new member:roll: I don't care if a person knows everything or knows nothing, its not right to post like that.

Think next time:confused:

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All such remarks taken under advisement, sorry I forgot I have to tread carefully as if walking on egg shells around here.

"But you're response is rude."
Sorry, it wasn't meant to be.
"Are you that way with everyone or am I special for some reason?"
I'm that way with everybody so don't flatter yourself. (;->)

OOPS! Reminder to self: smack upside the head when finished typing, some can't appreciate sarcasm.

CalebATC

He's just as rusty around the edges as your old rotor, but he sure does know a thing or two about antennas and radios! :D

Lindsay needs to integrate a "Like" button like Facebook, that's definitely one of those post :)

Anyway, it would surprise me if that thing even still rotated with all the rust! Home Depot's website has a few, maybe one in store. Go buy one, It might even be cheaper than buying a new controller that you may not find.

Warren knows a little bit about radios... :)

rohmell

I think I figured out that it's a gemini Orbit 360. Now the big question, can I use an Alliance 4 wire controller with this 5 wire rotator? I do not have the original Gemini control box.
Screw terminal #1 is for the motor (+)
Screw terminal # 2 is for the motor (-)
You can apply 5 volts to these terminals and see of the rotor turns.
The polarities are in parentheses because the controller reverses the applied polarity to reverse the direction of rotor rotation, the polarities shown are what are embossed on the motor itself.
Screw terminal #3 is feedback pot lo
Screw terminal #4 is feedback pot wiper
Screw terminal #5 is feedback pot hi
you could probably make a replacement controller for the rotor with an op-amp and a few sundry components.

ShadyTree

HELP with Orbit 360 Antenna Rotator

I have one of these rotators. Has mostly been stored away and not used that much. I have recently been trying to use it again after the government mandate to go all digltal on TV transmission. The problem I am having with my unit is that I can't get power to the rotator thru the control unit.The motor in the rotator is good. I have put power to it and it works,but the control box will not make it work.I have opened up the case and nothing appears to be burned out.This is a 5 wire unit and my next step it to check all the wires for a breakage.

Anyone with knowledge of this unit,please give me some good trouble-shooting measures to try.

I am a novice when it comes to electronics, but I do have a good multi-meter for starters.

Status
Not open for further replies.