Antenna questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarMatthias

Hi,

I have a few questions:

1. What is the longest telescopic antenna available of the market and who sells it?

2. Do the antennas in the attached images actually improve reception performance?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• ant223_b.detail.jpg
    ant223_b.detail.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,620
  • digital-radio-scanner-6-antennas.jpg
    digital-radio-scanner-6-antennas.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 20,496

LtDoc

Whoooo! The first one might be configurable as a 1/2 wave dipole. The second example... I'd be surprised if it worked at all, or where! LOL
- 'Doc

Doesn't matter if they worked or not, I wanna see you carry that around in your pocket, or on your belt!

n5ims

1. What is the longest telescopic antenna available of the market and who sells it?

While it may not be exactly what you're asking about, this ROHN H50 Telescopic Push Up Antenna Mast might qualify as a 50 foot telescopic antenna if you mount it on an insulated base and insulate the guy wires like they often do for AM Broadcast towers.

Here is one that may be closer to what you're asking about and is 1100mm long telescopic antenna products, buy telescopic antenna products from alibaba.com

Just remember that length doesn't equal better, only what frequency the antenna is resonant at. For the 800 MHz band, a resonant antenna (1/4 wavelength) is about 3" long and for the 27 MHz CB band, an equivilant antenna would be about 108" long.

2. Do the antennas in the attached images actually improve reception performance?

Actually the antennas pictured are simply multiple antennas stuck together using simple T adapters and would probably have worse performance than any single one of them attached directly to the scanner. While you can stack multiple antennas to do things such as increase gain, modify the signal pattern to provide specific coverage areas for your signal or increase bandwidth, doing it properly requires specialized matching networks or other tricks to make sure that the signals mix properly. Doing so using random connections could just as easily cause the signals to cancel themselves out causing no signal to make it through as it would to mix them properly to provide an increased signal.

majoco

Stirrer
Hmmm....

There is a faily large one on my Heathkit "Mohican" - about 5feet fully extended....

Heathkit_GC_1A_L.jpg

but then again.....

trailer_1.jpg

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi,

I have a few questions:

Thank you in advance.

This looks like something I used to bail hay with once! :lol:
n9zas

MarMatthias

Just remember that length doesn't equal better, only what frequency the antenna is resonant at. For the 800 MHz band, a resonant antenna (1/4 wavelength) is about 3" long and for the 27 MHz CB band, an equivilant antenna would be about 108" long.

I'm trying to hit the CB area. I can tell there is activity, but I'm just out of range.

Actually the antennas pictured are simply multiple antennas stuck together using simple T adapters and would probably have worse performance than any single one of them attached directly to the scanner.

I think I'll stick to my homemade long wire antenna. It works fairly well in boosting my signals. Unfortunately, long wire antennas don't travel well :)

fieldho

Premium Subscriber
He would probably receive better if he used the Lava Lamp as his antenna. I think someone was just having some fun with the extra toys he had collected. I think the Lava Lamp gives it away. CALL HOOME.

kjs1959

Premium Subscriber
Antennas for scanner

I have 2 antennas mounted on bracket on top shelf with coax that run down to base scanner
BCT15.

Status
Not open for further replies.