CB antenna mounted deep inside pickup bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonziBuddy

I have my CB antenna mounted inside my truck like this.

I'm curious as to how much the signal weakens as a result to being half inside the bed?

I also have a 4 foot antenna to use. Would that be better?

Attachments

• IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 38,190

ermin

I have my CB antenna mounted inside my truck like this.

I'm curious as to how much the signal weakens as a result to being half inside the bed?

I also have a 4 foot antenna to use. Would that be better?

Hello BonziBuddy

I'd have to say that the mount you have in the picture should not affect your signal too much. IF you can I'd get a longer antenna but what you have now should work.

Ermin

LtDoc

I have to disagree.
With part of the antenna being 'shielded' by it's 'other half', the metal of the vehicle, there will be a distinct loss in performance, and efficiency. You are also taking a chance of of that antenna 'shorting' out to the bed of the truck since the spring will allow it to beat against the side of the bed. Mounting it higher so that the base of the antenna is above the side of the bed will definitely make things 'better'.
I'm not a fan of helically wound antennas. So keeping that in mind, and if you can put up with the clatter and hitting things part, a longer and non-helically wound antenna would do better in my opinion.
- 'Doc

vinzep491

I agree a differnt location would indeed be better, but I doubt the signal that is lost from the current mount is so drastic that it is worth moving.

Just my 2 cents.

N1BHH

The best mounting location for any antenna, no matter what frequency range is always dead center on the roof. The roof is clear of any obstructions. The body can be an attenuator when any antenna is mounted on the side of a vehicle. You will notice many of the newest automobile models are sporting roof mounted antennas and they are moved to the rear so as to avoid engine generated static. But it appears you park in a garage, the antenna should be mounted as high as possible on the bed and I would recommend using a spring at it's base if at all possible.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There WILL be some degradation with that mount. There will be capacitive coupling to ground at the high current end of the antenna. That would impact tuning, vswr, and antenna efficiency.

vinzep491

Of course the top, center of the roof is ideal, BUT i don't believe the current instal will pose too great of a problem.

BonziBuddy

Hello BonziBuddy

I'd have to say that the mount you have in the picture should not affect your signal too much. IF you can I'd get a longer antenna but what you have now should work.

Ermin
I have a 4 foot version that I might switch back to.
I have to disagree.
With part of the antenna being 'shielded' by it's 'other half', the metal of the vehicle, there will be a distinct loss in performance, and efficiency. You are also taking a chance of of that antenna 'shorting' out to the bed of the truck since the spring will allow it to beat against the side of the bed. Mounting it higher so that the base of the antenna is above the side of the bed will definitely make things 'better'.
I'm not a fan of helically wound antennas. So keeping that in mind, and if you can put up with the clatter and hitting things part, a longer and non-helically wound antenna would do better in my opinion.
- 'Doc
I figured that the CB frequency range wouldn't have a problem getting through the bed of the truck. It's also mostly compost plastic.

Mount it in CENTER of the roof.
n9zas

The best mounting location for any antenna, no matter what frequency range is always dead center on the roof. The roof is clear of any obstructions. The body can be an attenuator when any antenna is mounted on the side of a vehicle. You will notice many of the newest automobile models are sporting roof mounted antennas and they are moved to the rear so as to avoid engine generated static. But it appears you park in a garage, the antenna should be mounted as high as possible on the bed and I would recommend using a spring at it's base if at all possible.

Of course the top, center of the roof is ideal, BUT i don't believe the current instal will pose too great of a problem.

I would love to but I already have 3 antennas in my roof!

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 14,768

vinzep491

Seeing your other antennas, I believe your current location is best to aviod interference

vinzep491

Nice and clean install by the way - do you have any pictures of the inside of your setup??

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Awesome truck, awesome install. What's that middle antenna on the roof? Another VHF?

Lol, can't take the title of the thread seriously though... "mounted deep inside" Hmm...

RodStrong

I'd switch to a NMO CB antenna. Gave up on fiberglass a few years ago. Good luck whatever you do.

ridgescan

Those firestiks have been around forever and are ok performers-I would just raise the mount up to the top of the bed-the pattern of your transmit signal from that corner of the truck is already biased I think to the direction of the opposite front corner of the truck so you want that whole antenna to clear the metal bed -like zz0468 pointed out. If I had my way-102" steel whip springmounted at the bedside for the win:)
By the way-don't forget to provide a ground for that antenna via maybe a #6 groundwire to the metal of the bed (if you haven't already) as you said that the mountpoint is composite plastic.

Last edited:

carpetbone

On the subject of CB antennas, with over 40 yrs exp, your signal to wave ratio cannot be good with a mount in that position. In my exp antenna at least needs to be flush with the vehicle for best range, esp on transmit. If Shakesphere still makes antennas, their top loaded 48 incher was the bomb.
For just talking locally, on road, etc that location may be fine tho. Hope this helps, DC

Status
Not open for further replies.