Scanner Antenna Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

NFR85

I live in Nashua ,NH I have a Uniden Bearcat Trucktracker IV BCD996T. I have the basic antenna it came with. The problem is I can pick up towns far away crystal clear i.e. Concord NH Dispatch but FG its Dead! Same as other towns.

Would buying an 800 MHz 2.5db gain base bnc antenna solve my problem? I was thinking of putting one on my roof but I don’t want one to stick out like a sore thumb. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated on here or Private PM. Thank You

N5TWB

It could be they are running the FG without going through the system so you are not able to receive the low power hand-held signals.

home121

antenna problem

If you don't live in a community where you can put up a outside antenna , A 50 foot push up pole w/ a discone on it would make a world of differance. Grove ent. makes a very good one. Don't forget the coax rg-6 w/ f connecters to bnc, and you will be good to go. Better do it b-4 it get to cold or starts snowing, I think you said your in New Hampshire. Good Luck

Last edited:

NYRHKY94

NFR85:

I live in NH and have an outside antenna (Scantenna) installed at 35'. The only time I ever receive FG transmissions is when the incident is very close by. Other than that, it is very hard to pick up any FG activity due to the low power used for those frequencies.

DickH

NFR85:

I live in NH and have an outside antenna (Scantenna) installed at 35'. The only time I ever receive FG transmissions is when the incident is very close by. Other than that, it is very hard to pick up any FG activity due to the low power used for those frequencies.

delete.

W2NJS

FG means fireground, which in turn means comms done at the scene of an emergency or fire. They are usually, but not always, simplex, meaning the radios transmit and receive on the same channel. The power levels commonly used are low, on the order of 5 watts, which means that they may be hard to receive at any distance over a couple of miles or so.

NFR85

NYRHKY94: Thank you I will prob do that in the spring time.

NFR85

Would a 35 Antenna work to pickup Seacoast? Like Hampton, Portsmouth? I live in Nashua. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.