Using mobile CB antenna for scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scan_madison

Antenna is about 4 ft long with magnetic mount. It has screw type connector. Coaxial cable is at least 20 ft long. Band I am interested is in 460 MHz region. Scanner is Uniden BC72XLT (handheld). My guess is I will need to cut the antenna length. But I am not sure if this is a good use of CB antenna for scanner. Any ideas? Thanks.

n5ims

Not a good idea. A CB antenna might be OK for the VHF-Low band (with some trimming) but probably not a good solution for the other bands. If you do descide to go the route you asked about, remove the coil and cut the whip to about 6" for the UHF band.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
not a good match
it will be like from 27 megs to say 40 megs or so
but it mite be fine ...........Because your not transmitting OK

Not at 460mhz. It will be useless, unless your source transmitter is a short distance away.

n9zas

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Antenna is about 4 ft long with magnetic mount. It has screw type connector. Coaxial cable is at least 20 ft long. Band I am interested is in 460 MHz region. Scanner is Uniden BC72XLT (handheld). My guess is I will need to cut the antenna length. But I am not sure if this is a good use of CB antenna for scanner. Any ideas? Thanks.

Get youself an adapter, or adapters, that changes the PL-259 to BNC and give it at least a try. You *might* get a pleasant surprise. At the worst it probably wouldn't be any worse than the factory `rubberducky' and you'll only be out the cost of the adapter, or adapters. (There are all sorts of excuses as to whether or not it'll work but, the only real way to find out is to try it. It's `just another antenna' after all.)

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Well it would probably be fine on VHF low,but not so much on anything higher.If you have the antenna in hand already,give it a try on UHF and see what happens.

Last edited:

scan_madison

Yup lot of improvement in VHF area but not a lot in UHF as others have guessed. I will keep the antenna for mobile use of scanner. Thanks.

noobiest

Don't try putting a screw-on CB adapter end onto a glass-mount scanner antenna on your Buick. Even worse is plugging in the ole hand-held CB. And don't ask me how I know. Anyone would figure the problem out, in minutes, when listening to all the silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.