Ohio Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

dic

What's with all these antennas?

One CB, one for the MDT, one for the trunked system, and then what?

Dic
N1XBA

Attachments

• ohio160.jpg
    ohio160.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 5,445

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
Repeater, gps mapping, cellphone, county radio. A lot of troopers here in Kentucky have a vhf radio in there cruisers to communicate with other law enforcement cause KSP is on a P25 uhf.

Kevin Absher - HTC Inspire 4G

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I think I count 6 antennas. Some are low profile (white on at the back of the roof, black on towards right side of trunk lid). I've seen Indiana State Police troopers with as many as 9 antennas.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I count eight antennas, 1 - Ohio MARCS (800 TRS), 1 - Mobile Data Terminal, 1 - Ohio LEERN (VHF), 1 - CB, 2 -Video/Sound System, 1 or 2 - Vehicle Range Extender, and a scanner (if equipped).

Not long ago when they were still on low band there was also a large whip antenna with a spring bolted to the driver's side of the rear fender.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Ohio comms

Here's some possiblities, based on what I know:

1. An 800 antenna for the in-car video. Most departments don't store video in the car anymore. There is a system whereby when they get near the station, all the video stored in RAM since the last time the car was near the station gets automatically downloaded over the air to a server.

2. A VHF or UHF quarter wave for the body mike that goes with the video.

3. One or more 800 antennas for the state wide system.

4. A VHF 5/8th for mutual aid comms, and communities on VHF.

5. A VHF Low antenna, for comms with Sheriff's departments still on the low bands.

6. One or more data antennas for GPS, MDT's, etc.

7. A CB antenna.

Next time, take a picture of the inside of the car, if you wanted a more accurate assumption of what the outside antennas are for.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
X band is so, uh, 1980s.

I see two hockey puck antennas. One might be for the cell data card, one might be for GPS signals. Of course there are some antennas that combine the two.

I wonder if the black one on the trunk is for XM/Sirius? Hard to tell from the picture, but I know some troopers in other states have it in their cruisers for those long shifts.

Not to mention that MASSIVE X band radar antenna on the rear deck!

GTO_04

mdulrich

Feed Provider
I see two hockey puck antennas. One might be for the cell data card, one might be for GPS signals. Of course there are some antennas that combine the two.

OSP uses the MARCS data network, not a cell data card. One of the 800 MHz antennas on the roof is for voice, the other for data. The roof mounted hockey puck is for GPS.

Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.