Base antenna thoughts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
I want to get an antenna for a new BCD996XT. The one that comes in the box doesn't really seem to do the job. Any thoughts? What are you using instead of the packaged one? Can't install an outdoor antenna so let's not even think that route. Thought about heading over to the Radio Scrap Store but thought I would ask here first.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Base Antenna

I want to get an antenna for a new BCD996XT. The one that comes in the box doesn't really seem to do the job. Any thoughts? What are you using instead of the packaged one? Can't install an outdoor antenna so let's not even think that route. Thought about heading over to the Radio Scrap Store but thought I would ask here first.

If you can't do the outside antenna, try a mag mount style on a pizza pan or file cabinet. Much better results than the stock antenna.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Yup, a mag-mount antenna on something metal should do better then the stock antenna.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Scott- This antenna in the RR Antenna Wiki is a very effective indoor antenna when hung in a window or placed in an attic (2nd one listed in the article; wire version). Can be built for less than $10 and about 30 min of your time to make and install. It's very broadbanded and can be located in an indoor "sweet spot" away from your scanner and sources of RF noise. No cookie sheet, magnet, air conditioner, or ground plane of any sort required. No need to purchase a mag mount mobile antenna. Parts a available in any hardware/home supply store. Guaranteed to work better than the telescoping whip that came in the scanner box:
Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.