Antenna Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErieCountyPublicSafety

Feed Provider
Alright, I live in Sandusky, Ohio. I have been doing a live feed for 1 year. We just recently moved about 5 miles south of were we did live. At the old house, i could pickup all Huron County radio traffic, including Erie County. Now i cant get Huron County at all with my Pro-163 or HomePatrol. I am using the same antenna. Any suggestions to maybe "boost" signal. I know its a wierd question, but anything helps.

Antenna I am using is a Magnet-mount mobile scanner antenna from Radioshack.

Thank You.

dmolique

Last edited:

reconrider8

maybe get the antenna up higher or move around the house a little bit to find a sweet spot? or get a better antenna and get it up higher

n5ims

Better coax perhaps? That can make a huge difference if the wrong choice is made. For example (using a typical 800 MHz signal over 100' of coax) you'll have 14.4 dB loss using RS RG-58 but only a tiny bit over 2 dB loss using some Andrew LDF4-50A. Somewhat like drinking from a soda straw vs a garden hose.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Is that mag-mount antenna on a good metal ground plane? Other than that, like the others said... get it higher with better coax.

Best of luck!

m50steel

Premium Subscriber
You didn't say if the antenna was inside or outside. Outside and on top of the building (and as the others have mentioned with good coax) is definitely better. Your current living quarters may be more RF insulated than your last such as brick walls, dual pane windows,etc. Another thing you might consider is a directional antenna if all your listening interests are in a particular direction such as north of you..

mule1075

Feed Provider
Better coax perhaps? That can make a huge difference if the wrong choice is made. For example (using a typical 800 MHz signal over 100' of coax) you'll have 14.4 dB loss using RS RG-58 but only a tiny bit over 2 dB loss using some Andrew LDF4-50A. Somewhat like drinking from a soda straw vs a garden hose.

Not really easy to change the coax on RS magmount.So this might not be an option for the OP.

ErieCountyPublicSafety

Feed Provider
Thank you for all the replys. I am using the antenna indoors. I really never thought about it, but I do now live in a brick home. I am currently renting and a outside antenna is not an option. What does everyone think about the "WPN-97 Nomad Base Antenna". It says its good for indoors. Thank You.

LtDoc

I think the problem is that you are further away from the sources of desired signals. I'm sure there are 'indoor' antennas that -might- be better than what you're using, but expect to 'pay' for them. The simplest thing would be a higher antenna. Then hope that there aren't any interfering 'things' in the path of those signals.
When reading any advertisement for antennas you should really pay attention to exactly what is said and how. Merely saying something will 'work' indoors isn't saying it will work -well- indoors, or by how 'much'. Unfortunately, that's a fairly common way of advertising, sort of, you know?
Just for grins, try moving your radio/antenna outdoors and in the direction of the desired signals. Any improvement at all? If not, then it isn't going to be easy to do what you want even with the restrictions you have. Sometimes it just ain't gonna work...
- 'Doc

VE3CRO

Premium Subscriber
If you want to specifically receive the frequency you were feeding I would suggest a single band antenna cut to the exact frequency would be best.

W2NJS

1. Get an antenna book and read up on beam antennas.
2. Install a suitable beam antenna, pointed in the right direction and vertically polarized/oriented.
3. Even if the beam is in your attic it will beat the heck out of any vertical antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.