MFJ Discone 1868 ALERT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

holmziep

Let me first say that I am a big fan of MFJ. I have no bone to pick with them, and I realize this is an inexpensive antenna partly or wholly mfg in China. Not being my only antenna, I will use it on all the ham bands from 6 meters through 1.2 gigs (someday). Right now I really love the raised lobes on the aircraft band, and it really really pulls in those aircraft in central NJ!!

At these prices, ($ 70.00), I think I will choose to fix the antenna myself because I am capable. But I think everyone should know what the story is. So, read on and look at the two .jpg pics...

One cone element fell out as I was carefully assembling them to the center hub. Another dropped off in the back of my pick-up. Several Cone elements have fallen out in 30 MPH wind. I brought the antenna down and with two fingers, I was able to rock out the remaining 5 or so elements. Brand new antenna.

Had no problem so far with the 8 disc elements or the base loaded low band vertical element.

The CONE element length of 36" measured as received from manufacturer, from the tip of the aluminium rod to the end of the ferrule, less the threads which would be screwed into the hub. (I happen to have attached a washer and a flange nut to protect the threads to this one element that I unsuccessfully tried to press and drive all the way home, into the ferrule. I achieved the same .64" penetration as it the manufacturer did.)

The marks left on the aluminium rods from the pressing process are visible in attached .jpg pics. ALL the elements were not driven or pressed into the ferrule but for a mere .064" which is a 1/6th of an inch! The DEPTH of the ferrule is nominally .605" If the elements were properly pressed into the ferrule I would of not of been able to dislodge them.

Now I ask you all:

1) Would you feel safe having your children or the general public standing under this antenna, without some modification or improvement?

2) Is the intended length of the cone elements 35-1/2" or 36" as measured? (Ahh, it's a discone, and this dimension isn't that critical, is it?)

Some measurements and comments:

The aluminium rod is .196 diameter and just over 35-3/8 long. The ferrule is cut about .605 inches deep with inner diameter around .186", but for a .1" deep insertion shoulder cut to .205" that centers the rod within the ferrule as it is pressed home. The rod would definately be a good tight fit if it was pressed or driven in all the way. But the way I received this antenna, the rod was inserted to about 1/3 of it's diameter, or .064"!!

Measured the ferrule depth at a total of .605" including the shoulder which is about .1". The rods are a little over 35-3/8" long. If they were fully inserted within the ferrules, the cone elements would be a total length of about 35-1/2", (less the threads, of course).

Comments are WELCOME. Please let's not trash MFJ, OK?
holmzie N2EXG

Attachments

• DSCN6985.jpg
    DSCN6985.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,234
  • DSCN6989.jpg
    DSCN6989.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,139

prcguy

You know all the acronyms for MFJ and this is just another example. Otherwise you might drill or ream out the ferrule so the element seats all the way in, then drill and tap the side of the ferrule for a 4-40 or 6-32 set screw and your done.

I suspect MFJ got some ferrules that were already pre drilled and they found the closest dia tubing that would fit, then something changed after production started that prevented them from fully seating the tubing. There is probably a very fine line between having a hole that will allow a tight full seating of the tubing without damaging the tubing and where it will not seat as it appears now.

I got really pissed at a R/S Discone with bad crimps on their SS tubing to threaded stud and threw them all in the trash. I then made solid elements from 3/16 aluminum rod tapped with either 10-32 or 12-28 (I forget), then drilled and tapped the hub to match. That was about 15yrs ago and the antenna is still holding up. The 3/16 aluminum rod was cheap at around $3 for a 12 ft length.
prcguy

mastr

IMHO, the antenna as it is now is probably going to shed more elements. It does pose a hazard, but the severity of said hazard is open to discussion. The bottom element length is not at all critical.

That said, the durability of most of the discones I have seen is proportional to the price thereof, with one exception. That is the less than $30 Hustler DCX, it is just barely a discone (3 top and 3 bottom elements) but my 25+ year old one is still serviceable and has survived one tower failure.

I have never seen the MFJ antenna, but have seen some other inexpensive discones that look far too delicate to offer a reasonable service life. My son had one (I think a Comet or Diamond brand) that turned into a rusted mess in 6 months.

I have also recently installed a discone that costs upwards of $3K. It is the most ruggedly constructed antenna I have ever seen. I expect that it will survive anything short of a direct lightning strike or having the building somehow fall on top of it. So generally, you do get what you pay for.

Have you contacted MFJ and asked them for a solution? If it is in fact a "brand new antenna" that would be my first step. Unless they are provided with feedback about defective/inadequate products, there is no incentive for improvement.

holmziep

Tks for reply, folks.

Hey PRCGUY, I have a RS discone, and never put it up for the reason you stated, lousy crimps.

I like the larger MFJ discone, and it has all the attributes for a great discone. I think the whole thing is a Chinese product because on the bottom mount tube under the hub is three charactors, see the .jpg

holmzie

Attachments

• DSCN7021.JPG
    DSCN7021.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 872
Status
Not open for further replies.