VHF antenna minumum distance apart TX/RX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I had some radio equipment installed on a boat and they installed the antennas WAY too close together. One antenna is a standard fiberglass VHF Marine antenna connected to an Icom marine radio. The other is a SS whip (pctel MWV1322s to be excact) connected to a Motorola government radio. Well the government radio is very high wattage (45 or 65) and the antennas are only about 6-8 inches apart. so needless to say when I transmit on the Motorola radio, it overloads the Icom and it now barely pics up any marine traffic.

Since it is just a standard NMO mount I am going to move the antenna for the Motorola radio. Since they are both VHF radios, what is the min. distance apart I need to put them? Obviously more is better but it is on a boat where real estate is limited.

Also, the further I get the motorola antenna away from the Icom, the closer it will be to the vessels radar unit..any issues there with either the radio or radar unit?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
To prevent RF interaction just from the presence of the antennas (both radios RX), you want a minimum of 1/4-wavelength. Depending on TX power, you may need a lot more. With 50W or more TX, you may need several feet to prevent actual damage to the RX radio.

prcguy

There is not that much difference in RF pickup between two VHF antennas 6in apart and 16in apart or 1/4 wavelength at VHF and there will be a lot of transmit energy going into the receivers in both cases. Another problem with antennas that close is the radiation pattern will probably look like a 2 element beam and far from omni directional.

A good rule is to keep antennas at least 1/2 wavelength apart or at least 3ft at VHF and even at that spacing the radiation pattern may look like a clover leaf with good signal going out in four directions and lousy performance in between the clover leaf pattern.

I would point this out to whoever installed the antennas and have them put them much farther apart. and give them some vertical spacing if possible.
prcguy

I could get a little bit of vertical difference at the expense of as good of a ground plane. but even then it would only elevate it 2 foot or so and it is a 4 foot antenna so.........But that would also give me an extra 2 foot or so distance from the other antenna while raising it above the radar dome.

Status
Not open for further replies.