BNC Multi-Band Antenna Better Than RS 800 Mhz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredva

Feed Provider
I've been using a telescoping antenna attached to my handheld scanner in my vehicles. I recently got a window-clip antenna mount that accepts a BNC antenna for use outside the vehicle. I have a Radio Shack 800 Mhz antenna that I've used on the new mount, and outside the car, it gives performance that might be a little better than my longer telescoping antenna inside the car, but the reception ability seems comparable. I'm still experimenting.

I can't use the metal telescoping antenna outside the vehicle because it has a pivot and I'm sure the wind would put it horizontal in no time.

For anyone who has used a RS 800 mhz antenna, have you used another BNC antenna which performs SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Radio Shack antenna on VHF-High, UHF, and 700/800 Mhz? For less than $50? I know people sing the praises of the Radio Shack. If there is another one that is known to be superior, I might consider purchasing it.

Terry1810

Premium Subscriber
I'd use the stock antenna that came with the 436HP on the window clip mount. I do. I works "OK" IMO and you won't have a cause to ruin any other antenna that you spend good money on. Remember, it's cutting thru the wind and weather outside your car catching bugs.

marksmith

Spectrum force makes a good 800 band portable antenna on par with the RS800, as do a few others. I would not put them better than the RS800, and definitely not when outside the 800 band.

So, in general, the answer is that the RS800 (otherwise known as the Remtronix 800) is about the best in terms of portable antennas that get 800 well and UHF/VHF ok.

If you want to give up a little on 800 and improve the other bands, Diamond makes a couple.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

WQPW689

Try the Diamond RH77CA for less than $30. The RS800 should be superior on that band but you should look forward to better reception VHF High/UHF. The Diamond gets great 800 coverage for me, but I'm in radio source rich counties, fairly small areas I listen to.

Notice the "should" use. As with anything, only your particular circumstances will tell the tale.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
+1 on the Diamond RH77CA. Its performance is slightly less on 800MHz, but it does a really good job on VHF and UHF.

DJ11DLN

+1 on the Diamond RH77CA. Its performance is slightly less on 800MHz, but it does a really good job on VHF and UHF.
+2. They are very good, but I don't know how well the longer RH77 will survive being in the slipstream on that type of mount. Another one that has some good reviews is the Austin Condor, though I don't have any direct experience with them. They were in the $35 range at Scannermaster the last time I looked. The RS800 is pretty hard to beat as an all-around antenna though.

If it wouldn't break your budget, I'd suggest a regular multi-band mobile antenna. I have a low opinion of the mount described here...but I understand that sometimes you do what you gotta.:)

fredva

Feed Provider
Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I could be using my PRO-18 in any one of three vehicles; that's why I gave a window clip mount as a gift suggestion, since it could be easily transferred from one vehicle to another.

fredva

Feed Provider
I decided to order the RH77CA. When it arrived, I discovered that it is more flexible/flimsy than I had anticipated. I see what DJ11DLN was concerned about. I'm not sure it would hold up outside a vehicle going at highway speeds. The length would be fine if only the antenna was stiffer. I have not risked breaking the antenna by trying it on the window mount.

I may end up returning it, depending on shipping costs.

Testing the reception without putting it on the window mount, it does seem to work a little better than the Radio Shack 800 mhz on VHF, at least with certain systems. Not better than my telescoping antenna though - at least not that I can tell.

Last edited:

marksmith

I have had similar results with the RH77CA. I expected much better reception from all the positive reviews than I experienced.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

fredva

Feed Provider
My Solution

I considered returning the Diamond antenna because it seemed too fragile to use outside a vehicle. Then it occurred to me that if I enclosed the antenna in something like a straw, it might have sufficient protection from the wind at highway speeds. I mentioned this to my wife, who informed me that we had an unopened package of milkshake straws in a drawer. I ended up enclosing the antenna in three layers of straws held together with black gorilla tape. The outer two layers of straws are split lengthwise and put over the inner layer(s). Because the antenna is a little longer than an individual straw, each layer consists of one entire straw and a couple of inches of another straw. I made sure not to have the upper and lower straws in each layer joined at the same spot to prevent a weak point.

I've been using this protective shell for a couple of months, including through heavy rainstorms, and it has held up well. It's certainly not the best looking contraption, but it does the job. Of course, I don't want to hit any low-hanging tree limbs with it.

I have several VHF systems that I listen to on my way to and from work, and the Diamond does very well at receiving them. The RS 800 mhz antenna does somewhat better on a couple of 700/800 mhz simulcast systems, but neither antenna does great on those systems.

Attachments

• antennashell.jpg
    antennashell.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 375
  • straws.jpg
    straws.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.