Looking for BCD436HP multi frequency antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monzi

Premium Subscriber
OK Guys,
I just picked up the very cool BCD436HP scanner and I want to upgrade the antenna to a good multi freq antenna and I'm looking for suggestions. Mag mount and/or whip.

I'll be picking up the GPS receiver for this radio also, anyone else using one? Would like to hear feedback on how well it does or doesn't work!!

Thanks in Advance

Rob
Mesa - AZ
AK7RM

sunwriter1000

I've owned the BCD436HP with DMR upgrade, for about six months now and really enjoy it. For mobile, I am using a Larsen NMO-150/450/800 Tri-Band antenna, with an NMO trunk lip mount, which works great and of course is light years better than the rubber duck inside the vehicle. I receive air-band, VHF/UHF and 800 for LE with this antenna from reasonble distances with no problem. When I'm not scanning, I use it for my dual-band mobile. At home, I connect it to a Discone antenna I have mounted in my garage attic. Elevation, more than anything else here makes a difference.

I acquired the GPS unit a few months back. It works fine, albeit with the snake of cabling attached. It switches seamlessly as you are driving. The only caveat I would note though, is that you need to keep the Service Type selections and Range Setting down to a minimum if using Full Database, or there is too much to scan and limits the hits, in my opinion. You can use it with your own Favorites scan lists as well, and this is what I use when making my 45 minute commute to and from the office a few days a week.

Jeff
KE8HEA

Monzi

Premium Subscriber
Really good input Jeff, would not of thought about limiting the range, I could see where that could cause an issue. Thanks

kb3isq

Premium Subscriber
OK Guys,
I just picked up the very cool BCD436HP scanner and I want to upgrade the antenna to a good multi freq antenna and I'm looking for suggestions. Mag mount and/or whip.

I'll be picking up the GPS receiver for this radio also, anyone else using one? Would like to hear feedback on how well it does or doesn't work!!

Thanks in Advance

Rob
Mesa - AZ
AK7RM

I have both a 436 and 536 and use the GPS on both, they work great. I use a spectrum force wide band antenna (sold by Scanner Master), but in stead of the supplied mag mount and cable I mounted it on a NMO mount with better cable.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
One of the better whip antennas for portable use is the Diamond RH77CA. Excellent on UHF and VHF, and good on 800MHz.

GPS is indispensable for scanning on the go. Once you try it, you'll never go back to manually toggling stuff while driving. The 436 (and the 536) can be modded with an internal GPS so that you don't need any external wiring. It makes GPS scanning a lot handier than using the Uniden puck.

Limiting the Range setting to no more than 5 miles is highly recommended, as is turning off all Service Types not directly related to your listening interests. You'll also want to make a Favorite List containing just the counties where you frequently travel, and Avoid everything you don't want to hear while traveling. Make sure Location Control is turned on in the Favorite List settings.

Monzi

Premium Subscriber
Side Note: I'm seeing the batteries don't last very long in the 436HP, are there any power saving settings that would help save battery juice without limiting the receive capabilities significantly? AND, can't get Sentinel software installed on my Win 10 system...

Last edited:

sunwriter1000

I am running Sentinel on Win10 without any issues. Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember needing to install the software as "Administrator" on my system.

I use my scanner quite a bit, so I have a couple sets of rechargable batteries that I use. Mostly though, I keep the scanner pluged in through the USB port with a cable. When you first connect it to a USB charger it will prompt that that it has detected a USB connection and ask if you want to use it as "Mass Storage" or "Serial Port". If you don't touch any buttons/dials on the unit for about 10-15 seconds, the message disappears and you will be powering the unit through USB, and can use as normal. I use this method at home and also with a USB charger in the car.

For louder audio, I connect the headphone output on the BCD436HP to an audio input in my car. You will find though that if you power the unit though USB and have the audio connected, you will get some nasty ground loop noise. I was able to completely eliminate this with a Ground Loop Isolator found here:

3.5mm Aux Audio Noise Filter Ground Loop Isolator Eliminate Car Electrical Noise | eBay

Jeff
KE8HEA

Monzi

Premium Subscriber
Great info Jeff.... Just ordered the ground loop isolator, THANK YOU

I found the .net framework 2.0 and installed it, that fixed the install issue with Win10. I thought it was a cumulative install, had no idea I needed to install 2.0... Got that issue fixed. Learning quickly, now the programing! sheesh... this is fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.