High gain 800 MHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

Premium Subscriber
Why am I not finding any high gain 800 mhz mobile antennas? When comparing vhf to uhf the uhf ones alway have higher gain. The higher the freq the more common the gain but I'm not seeing that in 800 mhz.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
3dB are pretty common. Look for the co-linear design, the ones with the coil (either open or closed) about 1/3 of the way up.
5dB are available, also.
Larsen, Laird, MaxRad, Comtelco, etc.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Wait, I thought you were looking for mobile antennas?

If it's base, I've got 9dB base antennas at work. Not cheap, not for most hobbyists, but they are certainly available. Much above that, and you start getting into sector antennas, etc.

scanmanmi

Premium Subscriber
Yes I am looking for mobile. My point was just that I thought there would be more gain on 800 mhz mobiles like there are on bases.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Since bases are much taller, it's easier to make them higher gain. With the limitations of mobile use, not so much.

Also, since most 800MHz use involves repeaters, high gain antennas are not always necessary.

3dB mobiles are common. 5dB are more rare. I don't recall seeing any mobile antennas with more than 5dB, not that they are not out there.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yes I am looking for mobile. My point was just that I thought there would be more gain on 800 mhz mobiles like there are on bases.

the highest gain 800MHz mobile antenna I can think of off the top of my head is a 5/8 over 5/8 over 1/4wave. common back in the day for cellular phones. they can be found in both elevated feed(No ground plane needed) or with out the elevated feed:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/pctel-maxrad-bmuf8455-3297.html

They also come in 5/8 over 1/4 wave as well:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/pctel-maxrad-muf8005-5923.html

In a mobile environment, you should not require more than 5dB gain. There is less than a S-Unit difference between a 1/4 wave antenna and the three section high gain antenna.

Physics and terrain will limit what you can or can not hear more than a low or high gain mobile antenna at 800MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.