Looking for another antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
I am looking for an antenna to use on my radio to receive a site I've been trying really hard to receive. I am a fill-in photojournalist for a news video service and I've noticed any time I've brought the vehicle I use home or my co-workers have stopped by we are able to hear the Denton County P25 system in front of my house on the RadioShack 652 or 197 (I can't remember which it is) but I am not able to hear it on my attic discone. Any reason why we can hear it on the vehicle but not my discone? I don't know what the antennas are but they look like the Motorola HAE4003A, but I don't think they are Motorola.

Also, if you think I could possibly receive them inside my house with the same antenna, could anyone recommend a good quality one for the band the system is in for a good price?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The effectiveness of an antenna in your attic can be dependent on a number of things.

-all building materials can impact radio penetration. Even dry shingles. If your roof has any metallic composition to it, it'll greatly impact performance. Foil backed/vapor barrier insulation will cause issues. HVAC ducting, copper water pipes, electrical, phone, alarm, TV cabling can all impact it. Local noise sources in your home can impact it.
Low quality coaxial cable can impact it.
Improperly installed connectors can impact it.

Ideally you really do what the antenna outside and up in the air. I understand some HOA's don't allow that.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
The effectiveness of an antenna in your attic can be dependent on a number of things.

-all building materials can impact radio penetration. Even dry shingles. If your roof has any metallic composition to it, it'll greatly impact performance. Foil backed/vapor barrier insulation will cause issues. HVAC ducting, copper water pipes, electrical, phone, alarm, TV cabling can all impact it. Local noise sources in your home can impact it.
Low quality coaxial cable can impact it.
Improperly installed connectors can impact it.

Ideally you really do what the antenna outside and up in the air. I understand some HOA's don't allow that.

Unfortunately my HOA is one of those. That was originally the plan, until I inquired about it and received a no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Got it.

Since the HOA is not permitted from preventing you from installing a DirectTV type dish, people have been known to purchase a used one (just the dish), mount it on their house (all legal) and stick a mag mount antenna on it.

And,
It's always easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission.

As for your hand held antenna, I haven't owned a scanner in years. I can tell you the Motorola 800MHz portable antennas work pretty well. They have an SMA female connector on the base, so they'll match up with most portable scanners. You can sometimes pick them up cheap on e-Bay.

matrixblackrock

Premium Subscriber
Also, if you think I could possibly receive them inside my house with the same antenna, could anyone recommend a good quality one for the band the system is in for a good price?

A few questions, what is the frequency(s) they are using, do you know where their transmitter site is located and does either end of you home face in that general direction?

The reason I ask is if either end of you home is somewhat oriented toward their transmitter there is a good possibility you can install an attic mounted Yagi at the end of the attic facing the transmitter, most commonly the ends of the attic are plywood and not too attenuating of RF.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.