Antenna Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

VK3YMML

Premium Subscriber
Hi all

I recently inherited some radio equipment including a large array of antennas, some are whip, also now have a 5/6 element beam antenna for an amateur radio (radio not included)

Is there a way based on the length of the antenna I can find out what freq it would cover. One has been labeled 27mhz, however, the others have no identifying marks

Thanks in advance
VK3YMML

Edit: Photo added

Attachments

• 24337525_10156036152695799_67823038_n.jpg
    24337525_10156036152695799_67823038_n.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
The photo isn't that good, but I can see that some have loading coils at the bottom. Some of the thicker ones probably have coils wound over the length. That makes in next to impossible to tell by length.

Best bet is to see if you can beg borrow or steal an antenna analyzer. Set them up against a decent ground plane and sweep them.

methusaleh

What type of connectors do they have? From what I can see, most appear to be 3/8x24, which leads me to guess they are 11 meter fiberglass antenna a la Firestick type. One looks like it could be a Ham Stick, possibly for 6 meters. The single NMO mount (that it appears to me) is either dual band or UHF, based on base and center coil sizes.

Golay

11 Meters

What type of connectors do they have? From what I can see, most appear to be 3/8x24, which leads me to guess they are 11 meter fiberglass antenna a la Firestick type. One looks like it could be a Ham Stick, possibly for 6 meters. The single NMO mount (that it appears to me) is either dual band or UHF, based on base and center coil sizes.

I "blew up" the picture.
I'm not sure that's an NMO mount. There's something around the bottom that makes me wonder if it mates to an SO-239 mag mount.
I'm gonna say that each and every one of those antennas is for 11 meters. It's a little fuzzy, but to me it looks like just about every one has the 3/8" threaded stud on the bottom. Even the shortest ones. But the picture isn't the greatest, so I could be mistaken.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
They all look like CB antennas. If they have 3/8-24 threads and are fiberglass they are almost always for CB. The exception would be a hamstick but none look like hamsticks.
prcguy
Firestik does make a VHF 3/8-24.. the one on the left looks like it could be one..but I agree with others.. a sweep with an analyzer would be safest and answer all questions..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.