Austin Ferret antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I think it's overrated and over priced.

What are your needs or what are you trying to accomplish?

paulears

A discone is effectively almost the same thing, but with the sloping elements producing a greater series of focus frequencies - the Ferret is just a pile of resonant dipoles all connected at centre - so they both have the same effective gain. The main difference is that the polar patter of a centre fed vertical dipole is symmetrical about the horizontal axis, so in effect much of it's output, or sensitivity is focused below the horizon, so from up high, on a hill - that makes sense when you are looking at destinations lower, while the discone isn't symmetrical. The butterfly type discone with sloping upwards section , rather than the usual flat top is symmetrical.

Personally speaking, my experience with multiple dipole types is disappointing compared to the discone. Perhaps marginally better with the multi-dipole on it's resonance frequencies, but poorer in the dips between them. My discone is not in the best position compared to the others, but much better performing without any doubt than the higher white sticks with gain at 2m, and 70cm. The white stick multi-dipole I have is just hopeless - it is not a ferret of course, but sufficient to convince me discones are great.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
A discone is effectively almost the same thing, but with the sloping elements producing a greater series of focus frequencies - the Ferret is just a pile of resonant dipoles all connected at centre - so they both have the same effective gain. The main difference is that the polar patter of a centre fed vertical dipole is symmetrical about the horizontal axis, so in effect much of it's output, or sensitivity is focused below the horizon, so from up high, on a hill - that makes sense when you are looking at destinations lower, while the discone isn't symmetrical. The butterfly type discone with sloping upwards section , rather than the usual flat top is symmetrical.

Personally speaking, my experience with multiple dipole types is disappointing compared to the discone. Perhaps marginally better with the multi-dipole on it's resonance frequencies, but poorer in the dips between them. My discone is not in the best position compared to the others, but much better performing without any doubt than the higher white sticks with gain at 2m, and 70cm. The white stick multi-dipole I have is just hopeless - it is not a ferret of course, but sufficient to convince me discones are great.

I had an Austin Ferret about 30 years ago (it is that old). It never worked well (the horrible Hustle discone with 6 elements worked better on all VHF and UHF bands) and there was noticeable rattle if I shook Ferret. After a lot of effort, I reached them by phone. They insisted nothing was wrong. I scrapped the expensive antenna. In taking it apart when I did that, I was not impressed. I do like their mobile antenna. I now use Diamond and ICOM discones. If you want all frequency omnidirectional coverage from about 100 MHz to 1 GHz, there is no alternative than a good discone. Sure, if you want one direction, you should use a log-periodic, or you only care about certain bands, there are better choices with gain.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I had an Austin Ferret about 30 years ago (it is that old). It never worked well (the horrible Hustle discone with 6 elements worked better on all VHF and UHF bands) and there was noticeable rattle if I shook Ferret. After a lot of effort, I reached them by phone. They insisted nothing was wrong. I scrapped the expensive antenna. In taking it apart when I did that, I was not impressed.

I'm really surprised you were even able to reach them by phone! They supposedly have three employees, but the one and only time they answered the phone, some ornery old man answered and could/would not answer any of my questions. It appears his wife may(?) be still involved in someway. Probably some local farmers hack these together on demand in their blacksmith barns. They do not accept any returns, and there is a reason for that. I've never found any stocking distributors/dealers, and there's probably a good reason for that.

The Austin Ferret is not a wide-band antenna, it is a multi-band antenna. It is not tuned for any of the popular/common scanner radio bands.

I did some research last night (couldn't sleep), and it doesn't even appear Austin Antenna is even still in business.

Austin Antenna (aka: Inovative Antenna Design)
61 Airport Drive Unit 2
Rochester, New Hampshire 03867
United States
603-335-6339

mule1075

Feed Provider
I'm really surprised you were even able to reach them by phone! They supposedly have three employees, but the one and only time they answered the phone, some ornery old man answered and could/would not answer any of my questions. It appears his wife may(?) be still involved in someway. Probably some local farmers hack these together on demand in their blacksmith barns. They do not accept any returns, and there is a reason for that. I've never found any stocking distributors/dealers, and there's probably a good reason for that.

The Austin Ferret is not a wide-band antenna, it is a multi-band antenna. It is not tuned for any of the popular/common scanner radio bands.

I did some research last night (couldn't sleep), and it doesn't even appear Austin Antenna is even still in business.

Austin Antenna (aka: Inovative Antenna Design)
61 Airport Drive Unit 2
Rochester, New Hampshire 03867
United States
603-335-6339

http://www.rfwiz.com

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Um first one in your screen shot.

That screen shot was taken from the link on your Post #7. As I said, they are not the manufacture, and they don't stock it. They are just showing it like all the other items on their website. Have you tried to order one from them?

mule1075

Feed Provider
That screen shot was taken from the link on your Post #7. As I said, they are not the manufacture, and they don't stock it. They are just showing it like all the other items on their website. Have you tried to order one from them?
2 spectra 1 ferret and one suburban tuned for 450 mhz.Lead time was 3 weeks I knew it out of the gate.Have you dealt with them?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
2 spectra 1 ferret and one suburban tuned for 450 mhz.Lead time was 3 weeks I knew it out of the gate.Have you dealt with them?

When I tried to deal with Austin directly several years ago, they usually didn't answer the phone. And as I said, the one time they did, I talked to a very elderly man who didn't want to discuss the Austin Ferret at all. Very evasive, refused, or was unable to answer any routine questions. Definitely not the kind of company I wanted to do business with.

mule1075

Feed Provider
When I tried to deal with Austin directly several years ago, they usually didn't answer the phone. And as I said, the one time they did, I talked to a very elderly man who didn't want to discuss the Austin Ferret at all. Very evasive, refused, or was unable to answer any routine questions. Definitely not the kind of company I wanted to do business with.
Mine work just fine.Understand your point but never had a problem with them.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
The mobile one is good for about one time, possibly twice, to screw it down on the NMO, after that, the cheap piece of tin has bent down, and any real attempt to pull it back into position to make contact again will most likely result in it snapping off, rendering the antenna useless. Worst center contact I have ever seen on any antenna ever.

mule1075

Feed Provider
The mobile one is good for about one time, possibly twice, to screw it down on the NMO, after that, the cheap piece of tin has bent down, and any real attempt to pull it back into position to make contact again will most likely result in it snapping off, rendering the antenna useless. Worst center contact I have ever seen on any antenna ever.
You keep contradicting your self.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
How so? It works for the first time you put it on, then if you take it off, and re screw it on, the POS tin piece may or may not snap off, if you have to remove it one more time, you are usually toast by then. No contradictory statements there from me, more like lack of comprehension on your part.

mule1075

Feed Provider
How so? It works for the first time you put it on, then if you take it off, and re screw it on, the POS tin piece may or may not snap off, if you have to remove it one more time, you are usually toast by then. No contradictory statements there from me, more like lack of comprehension on your part.
Touche it did not work for you but it has worked for a lot more people.I am done here my ferret works just fine as my 2 spectras and my tuned 450.Sorry you results were not the same.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

I had the exact same experience with Austin when trying to contact them after receiving my Ferret years back. Rude, abusive, angry man on the phone after calling them at least a dozen times trying to talk to someone there. At that time they were located at 10 Main St in Gonic, NH.

The Ferret is grossly over priced and an extremely dismal performer with absolutely zero support after purchase.

You should definitely look elsewhere to spend your antenna budget.

Last edited:

cmdrwill

Even some commercial NMO mount antennas had or still have, the same 'bent tin contact' problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.