NMO Ground Plane or Discone For Scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
Hello All,

I’m looking to put a scanning antenna on side of the house, and there isn’t really a limit on how high I can put it. However, I’m really debating on either getting an NMO ground plane kit off eBay or get a discone kit? I mainly listen to a good portion of UHF, 800 digital, and some VHF as well. So here’s where I’m looking for advice:

1. Do I get the NMO ground plane and slap on my Larsen Triband VHF/UHF/800 since it’s a pretty good antenna and tuned better for those bands?

2. Do I just get the (wideband) discone and hope for the best? Would it be better? (Any good one in particular?)

Would a discone (wideband) be better off than a Larsen Triband on a ground plane? I’m not sure what others’ expirences are, and maybe someone could help point me in the right direction :)

Thanks everyone!

DJ11DLN

I have that exact setup with the Larsen and GP kit and it works quite well for me up about 30'. It's better than the old discone I used to have until the weather destroyed it. If you're only interested in those 3 bands it should work well for you and there's no doubt in my mind that it will be up long after a consumer-grade discone will die from wind, ice storm, or what-have-you.

The only thing it doesn't exceed the discone at is RX'ing outside those bands.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I would put a ground plane kit on the Larsen as it is a better performer in the bands you listen to. Both the ground plane and the discone are omni-directional so you won't lose anything there.

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
I would put a ground plane kit on the Larsen as it is a better performer in the bands you listen to. Both the ground plane and the discone are omni-directional so you won't lose anything there.

It’s been a while since I’ve used my Larsen. About how much “leeway” does it give on the 150/450/800 frequencies to where it won’t be beneficial? I do listen to a lot of medical 460 frequencies, 880, and soon 700.

Thanks!

tbharper

Premium Subscriber
Go with the NMO ground plane and Larsen tri-band, that is what I have now on a 27 ft mass and it is out performing the discone I had up on 27 mast.

prcguy

If your listening is confined to roughly 150-160, 450-470 and 800MHz then the Larson triband and a ground plane kit will work noticeably better on 800 and equal to and maybe a tiny bit better on the other bands.

If you have future needs for VHF air, UHF mil air or frequencies outside the very narrow range of the Larsen, then a Discone will work much better there. The typical scanner Discone is not that good on 800.
prcguy

ASTRO_Man

Premium Subscriber
So this whole time I thought I had a Larsen Triband antenna. It turns out I have the “Comtelco All-Band Low-Profile Mobile Antenna“. So for the ground plane setup, would it be worth it to get the Larsen Triband or should I stick to the Comtelco for 150/450/800.

I would like airband as well if it’s “possible”, not it’s not nearly as important as public safety bands. Thanks again for the guidance thus far.

cmdrwill

Both Larsen and Comtelco ground plane kits are very similar. Both NMO.

And try to get the better N type connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.