Scantenna modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

MB

Feed Provider
I have an old Monitenna - Channel Master 5094 that has a broken bottom element. I was wondering if I should try to fix it or use the Scantenna that was just given to me. If I were to fix it, what would be the best way to rejoin the elements?

I would like to receive in the 46Mhz range and the 155Mhz range. I read somewhere that you can screw on extra length to make the Scantenna receive better for the public safety bands (46Mhz and 155Mhz). I was wondering if I took parts from the Monitenna and screwed them onto the Scantenna - would this work? If so, how much length would I have to add to the long and short elements to make this work?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi MB and all,

That depends on the material and construction, I have no idea without seeing it up close and personal or you give an accurate description.

Don't modify an antenna, you don't know better than the engineer who designed it. If you want something special, build it, that way you haven't ruined a perfectly good antenna.

MB

Feed Provider
Well I ended up fixing the Monitenna by drilling two small holes and using small bolts to fix the bottom element back on. I now have it mounted at 30ft, and it seems to be working great.

I measured the Monitenna compared to the Scantenna. The Monitenna's measurments are around 61" (1/4 wave @ 46Mhz) for the large element and 18" (1/4 wave @ 155.550MHz) inches for the small element. This is the perfect length for VHF-hi and VHF-lo! The Scantenna's elemnets are to short.

ssb_dxer

I use a Scantenna at about 15 feet and have excellent coverage of VHF HI and LO. I even listen to SWL and the HF bands with it. Great antenna in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.