Diamond RH77CA vs RH771 for TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spocky

Hello to all,

I have a TRX-1 coming soon to me in Australia and have been thinking of past expereinces how stock antennae are usually a compromise and better options are out there,

Now after a bit of research I had settled on the RH77CA from Diamond as it has good reveiews and seems to increase the reception significantly. A local seller of Diamond antennas said that they don't have the RH77CA but have the RH771 and it is better for local conditions and people never order the RH77CA.

Not sure what to make of that but does anyone have an opinion of the RH771 in looking for Airband and emergency services around Sydney, Australia?

Cheers Spocky

Ubbe

What frequencyband to the emergency services use?

The 77 and 771 seems to be identical in performance judging from those who have tried both.
You can do a search on the top of the page for "best portable antenna" "best airband antenna" and you can see what folks opinions are. One interesting aspect when looking at Unidens portable antenna that comes with their scanners are that it seems to be doing best in the airband 118-136 compared to some other tested antennas. Measuring Relative Antenna Receive Performance - Massively Uninformed

To get an antenna that performs better in the airband would be to use a 1/4 telescope antenna at 60cm lenght. The Diamond 77 and 771 and some others are amateur dualband antennas tuned for 144MHz and are too short at 40cm.

/Ubbe

trp2525

...Now after a bit of research I had settled on the RH77CA from Diamond as it has good reveiews and seems to increase the reception significantly. A local seller of Diamond antennas said that they don't have the RH77CA but have the RH771 and it is better for local conditions and people never order the RH77CA.

Not sure what to make of that but does anyone have an opinion of the RH771 in looking for Airband and emergency services around Sydney, Australia?...

You should give this Radio Reference thread titled "Diamond RH771 vs RH77CA" a read: https://forums.radioreference.com/scanner-receiver-antennas/35154-diamond-rh771-vs-rh77ca.html

Diamond RH77CA Specs: https://www.diamondantenna.net/rh77ca.html

Diamond RH771 Specs (5th antenna down in list): RH SERIES/DIAMOND ANTENNA CORPORATION

The length of the RH771 is slightly longer compared to the RH77CA. Per the specs above, the RH771 is 40 cm (15.748 inches) while the RH77CA is 15 inches.

FYI here's an excellent price ($17.95 USD) for the Diamond RH77CA from an authorized Diamond Antenna dealer: https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/diamond-rh77ca-4968

Spocky

Thanks trp2525,

I see that the RH77CA is a send receive version and RH771 is predominantly a receive only which is all I need as it is going on a scanner.

Interesting articles and thanks for the heads up on that comparison post (I thought I searched for all that info).

Anyway looks like the 771 is all I'd need so that helps and there is a localised version here at Andrews Communications so I might even consider that.

Once again thanks for the help.

Cheers Spocky

Ubbe

I see that the RH77CA is a send receive version and RH771 is predominantly a receive only

I don't know why some people state that. Diamond themselves specify both at 10W FM at the two amateur bands.

When you can compare stock to 771 on airband and your emergency systems, could you please post a follow up here?
It would be valuable information for anyone else who concider buying an amateurband antenna.

/Ubbe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.